Acting egg bound can't feel an egg

Only in cows. This is my first flock. I got them as day olds last Feb. This one out of 18 is only one acting like not feeling good. The way she was walking with tail down is what made me start checking her out. I brought her straight in for Epson salt soak because symptom of penguin walk took me straight to egg bound. After her soak I dried her and let her rest, her stomach was not hard and I felt nothing around the vent. Used Vaseline and inserted finger and no egg. She has good poop, everything else is normal..

She may just be having trouble laying this particular egg.
Do you have tums or a calcium supplement?

Having her locked up in a tote might be causing more stress.

Are you familiar with Coccidiosis?
With all due respect, I don't think this hen has cocci.
Do you think she has EYP, or is that something we should take off the table? And if she might have EYP would treating her like she is egg bound be a problem?

For her safety she can not be with the other chickens and rooster as she will only take a few steps and lay down. Walking is part of the problem. She is tame and used to us handling her. I feel I am doing all I can for her safety. I don't feel the issue has anything to do with egg laying. No bloody stools, and I've been reading illnesses and can't find much. Thanks for your suggestions.

Here is poop
20180226_144204.jpg
The only reason I don't think it is the yolks in abdomen is there is no swelling, no fluid pockets, all that at least at this point is normal and comparable to the rest of the flock. I'm now starting to wonder if she got ruffled up by the roo. Maybe sprained something. But then no joints are swollen either. Uggg

I have noticed that once in a while she will hold her mouth open. But she is indoor so I don't know if she might be warm or if that is a symptom. Her breathing is normal, no coughing or sneezing, no drainage, eyes and nostrils clear.
20180226_145346.jpg

When I was doing research with her symptoms, I did read that a large worm load could be a cause.
One of the kinds of worms specifically mentioned was Gapeworm. I'm cautious to guess though, because I'm not a vet or really experienced owner :oops: I've only been into chickens for 4 years.

When I was doing research with her symptoms, I did read that a large worm load could be a cause.
One of the kinds of worms specifically mentioned was Gapeworm. I'm cautious to guess though, because I'm not a vet or really experienced owner :oops: I've only been into chickens for 4 years.

Thanks, I didn't see any worms in mouth or stool. Stool was normal. But she's actually doing much better, acting fine and back out with the flock. I'm leaning toward wormy, if she still feeling ok this weekend I think I'm going to worm the flock. It's been 4 months but very raining, warm then cold. Crazy winter. I think the extra tlc, vitamins and everything gave her the boost she needed. It was so weird she acted egg bound but never had anything that I could feel.

It was so weird she acted egg bound but never had anything that I could feel.
Chickens are interesting creatures. They get sick from just about everything and many different illnesses have the same symptoms :confused:

I'm glad to hear that she's back out with the flock and seems to be doing well! :highfive: Let's keep it that way!

Back
Top Bottom