Acting normal but duck not interested in food???

PollitolovesPio

Songster
7 Years
Nov 30, 2016
I have a duck two years old Pekín she is molting. She is not a huge eater but eats normal not like the jumbo Pekín male i have. He has a huge appetite. This is the thing she walks drinks water gets in her pool swims grooms herself all that but she does not want to eat. I took her three days ago to the vet I am awaiting results of blood work not sure why she stopped eating. I tried meal worms good high protein food lettuce you name it. So I am giving her baby food with a syringe but she has to eat. Any ideas ??

Lettuce is mostly water but getting her to even eat that is better than nothing. But they can go downhill pretty fast if they have gone a week or more without eating that is why tube feeding is the best thing to do Using a syringe is okay but it takes a lot of syringes to fill up a crop so tube feeding is best. It may take time to gather what you'll need and even if she begins to eat having the supplies on hand is sure better than trying to get them when you need them in a hurry.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

I went in today to get the results of the blood work. On Thursday it was 2400 white blood count which means she was fighting or is an infection. It’s should be around 1600. Waffles was on metronidazole 50 mg now vet added clindamycin 300 mg twice a day. And he will tube feed her daily. He is 15 mins away from me only. It that clindamycin too high. Or do you think it’s necessary to fight the infection. I am asking bc people do not suggest this antibiotic I guess unless it’s needed. What are your thoughts. She is getting better but the meds worry me but I am not the doctor.

I am taking her daily to have him feed her. Doing some Fredi g at home he will do the major ones with the daily meds. God willing she will clear this. 🙏will update as we move forward.
That is great but you need to watch so you can do it too maybe not this one but if it ever came up again you would know how.
Thanks for keeping us updated. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom