Acting sick while laying egg

birdfreak1831

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
One of my seven-year olds does this.
Thought I`d better ask before spring, in case she does this again...
First of all, I`m thinking : please just cut it out!
My birds are companions and precious ones at that.
Last year this little hen and her sister of the same age still laid 3 or 4 eggs per week, which I thought was rather overdoing it - I`d prefer them to take it easy. They don`t have to "pay rent" or "perform" or "produce" in any physical way.
Their very presence is pure joy to me.
But back to Lilly, who has a difficult time passing some of her eggs. She has this problem with about every other egg, the rest come easy.
I find her sitting around dumpy looking, ruffled feathers, closed eyes, not eating and drinking, inactive. The general sick bird look.
I put her inside into a hospital cage with a soft nest. There she sits anywhere from 4-6 hours, immobile. When she finally passes the darn egg, she returns to her normal self.
She gets up, drinks and eats and walks around for awhile, then she lets me know that she wants back outside.
I cannot detect anything physical - no enlarged or hard abdomen, vent looks normal....so what is bugging her [it scares me]? And why the tough time with only half of her eggs?
And the final question which might tick some folks in here off :
Is there a way a hen can be induced to STOP laying eggs? Which is what I want her to do because the price she has to pay for it is too high.

Yes, there is a way to stop a hen from laying eggs. A qualified avian vet is necessary for this. They can insert an implant in her that will stop ovulation. It's likely expensive, so prepare.

The other option is to give her a calcium mineral supplement for a while to try to give her body more of the nutrients necessary for ease in egg laying. I recommend calcium citrate 400mg with vitamin D3 and magnesium.

I would give her the supplement, just poke it into her beak, every other day or on the days you expect her to lay. Keep it up for just two weeks and assess if it's made her laying less of a chore. If it works, it may not be necessary again unless you see her suddenly begin to labor over an egg again.

Caution, this calcium therapy is strictly for short term. If you see her eggs begin to sport lots of calcium "pimples", she's got enough in her system, so it's a signal to stop.

Here's a thread discussing the implant. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-with-egg-peritonitis-laying-anymore.643985/

Yes, there is a way to stop a hen from laying eggs. A qualified avian vet is necessary for this. They can insert an implant in her that will stop ovulation./

Oh wow! What a goldmine of information you are, thanks!

In about March I`ll be able to drive on the roads, after the snow and ice has gotten compacted enough around here.
Then I`ll be able to go on a hunting expedition for the calcium citrate-vit D3-magnesium supplement.
I cannot do the avian vet. Not just because of the expense [which I am familiar with] but because the last time I checked, there were only about 50 avian vets in the country. They are rarer than hens` teeth! [no pun intended]

Is the egg normal in all other regards?
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?

Their basic food is organic layer crumbles, which they prefer over pellets.
They are little snack snappers though. Eating out of my hands.

I won`t let them free range - too many predators around.
But they have a large, covered, four-parted run where they forage in summer. Summer snacks include divers greens I grow and fruit and vegetables - favorites are sweet corn, peas, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, strawberries, cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, pears, bananas, kiwi....
They also like eggs [preferred scrambled], cottage cheese, plain yoghurt, oatmeal, all nuts, different kinds of fish and meat [all cooked] and more. The all time favorite which they turn into avian sharks over is mealworms.
Being rather adventurous, they like trying new things whenever I offer them.
In winter they enjoy suet cakes.

Almost forgot, Lilly`s eggs look normal, she never did a different looking one - they are always cream-colored and smooth. Never poopy or bloody either.

Their basic food is organic layer crumbles, which they prefer over pellets.
What are the protein and calcium percentages of the basic feeds?
What is the daily volume of all the snacks...compared to the daily volume of feed?
Tho the snacks may be nutritious, they may be diluting the nutrients on the feeds,
especially essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids that are needed to assimilate the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom