"Active" rooster and egg production

buffs only

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Conyers Georgia
I have 32 buff orp. pullets and one rooster (he's the McMurry mystery chick ) that were 17 weeks old Monday. I can tell that some of the pullets are a little more developed that others by their cones and waddles, some have good size cones and others almost none. Two days ago I saw my rooster being "active" with a couple on the more advanced pullets. Once he begins breeding with the hens is there a timeline before I start seeing eggs? From what I've picked up on BYC buffs won't start laying before about 20 weeks at the earliest, most things I've seen indicate 24 to 26 weeks. My question is should I go ahead and put my nesting boxes in place now? or should I wait a couple of more weeks?

Thanks for your imput, Buffs Only

Well, I am new at all of this myself, but your hens will lay eggs whether or not you have an "active" rooster. I have 12 Tetra Tints from Tractor Supply, they are 16 weeks. We got our first egg yesterday. We put our nests into the coop a few weeks ago, with a golf ball in each one. The hen just got right in, and laid an egg!! Amazing. I think that the hens begin laying around 15 to 20 weeks, depending on breed, but like I said, I am so new at all of this. We ended up with a golden comet roo, that we cannot keep. He is becoming "active" as well.. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom