Actually broody this time?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
This hen has been confusing me ever since she started laying lol

We have a dark faverolle that has shown signs of broodiness in the past (even though she turned 1 year old not too long ago) and every time we thought she was broody, she stopped doing all that stuff.

But now her behavior's changed a bit. Instead of her usual whine/yell, she makes low clucking noises most of the time. None of the others do this. She's also on the nest a lot. Last night, I went to close their run (they free range a lot) and she was in the nesting box while the others were sleeping. Today, she hardly came out into the yard at all. I went out there and saw her sitting in the coop (with a Welsummer on the only box they use. The faverolle got on when she left) I still have yet to see if she's plucked out any of her breast feathers, though. As of right now she's still nesting, and she started puffing up when I reached in the coop.

Is she actually broody this time? Or is she just faking lol

Sounds like she's heading in that direction but isn't totally there. When she stays in the nest day and night for more than 3 days she's fully broody. I've had some be only partially broody, and they never would set in a nest.

A bit of an update:
I checked on her again now that the rest of the chickens are going to bed. She puffed up when I opened the door to the coop and sorta shrieked at me.
Also, earlier I put a fake egg in front of her to see if she'd take it and she did.

Another question:
So, she's definitely broody, and I kinda wanna get eggs for her to hatch. But if she does manage to hatch some chicks, how would the other chickens react? Would they attack the babies?

Another question:
So, she's definitely broody, and I kinda wanna get eggs for her to hatch. But if she does manage to hatch some chicks, how would the other chickens react? Would they attack the babies?
It's best to separate her out but still where others can see. Sometimes other hens will break and eat eggs, add eggs to her nest and attack chicks when they hatch. I generally keep mine separated for the first week or two after hatching until chicks get strong enough to safely escape others and keep up with mom.

It's best to separate her out but still where others can see. Sometimes other hens will break and eat eggs, add eggs to her nest and attack chicks when they hatch. I generally keep mine separated for the first week or two after hatching until chicks get strong enough to safely escape others and keep up with mom.
Alright. Would a metal dog crate be fine? It's pretty large, and we used it to house our current chickens when they were still small.

Back
Top Bottom