ACV DOES work!!

Grits&Eggs

Songster
Apr 16, 2018
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All, a couple weeks maybe a month ago I posted that I was using Apple Cider Vinegar in my waterers' on a regular basis and had never seen a worm, but was convinced by someone that it was an old wives tale and not a true "cure". So since it is easier to fill the waterers without having to keep adding a splash of ACV I stopped (thinking omg how did I fall for this....) well, just today was cleaning off the poop mats and viola - worms....
worms.jpg

am totally disgusted with myself for ever stopping!!!!
So to all those non-believers: I stopped and within the last couple weeks or maybe a month now have multiple birds with round worm infections :he - will be looking for a de-wormer and an apology from whomever it was (just kiddin')
But moral of the story is that ACV, since it is the ONLY thing I changed in the last couple weeks MUST be the reason....

I stopped ACV years ago. Never prevented or cured a worm load in any of my birds. Roundworms are incredibly easy for them to pick up in the environment. I think you have a simple coincidence here, and I would never depend on ACV for anything. If it was only that simple everyone would be giving all their animals doses of ACV every day. Without a fecal test there is no way to be sure that whomever dropped that load wasn't carrying it before you stopped the ACV. They don't always expel them in droppings, mostly they live their entire lives inside the digestive tract. I worm regularly because I have to, and often don't see worms until after worming when some dead or dying ones are expelled.

I also used ACV at one time for several years after reading a lot of hype. I still would occasionally see a roundworm in the droppings. Worm larvae are not always visible in the droppings with the eye, but a fecal float may tell if worm eggs or some of the tiny other types of worms are present. ACV is not going to be enough to treat the roundworms you are seeing. A wormer such as Valbazen, SafeGuard, or Wazine would be good to treat them. Dosages can be given here. You are welcome to use vinegar in your water, but it just is not necessary.

I have never wormed and don't use acv, DE, hot peppers, or any bother old wives tale... yet my fecal floats come back clean.

I to consider this to be coincidence.

BUT... treat with your acv and have a fecal float done to test your results. ;)

Large round worms are the only ones that can be seen by the naked eye other than tape worms. All others are microscopic. Not seeing them doesn't mean you don't (or didn't) have them. :pop

I feed mine nasturtium, garlic, pumpkin, dill, and mint. Never had worms in mine. I stay away from medicated dewormer if you read the label you are not supposed to eat the eggs for 14 days. What would I do with that many unsafe to eat eggs?

I also feed garlic, oregano, etc. But once I removed the ACV, the nastys showed up on the poop mats....I don't want to use chemicals to kill them but now I am grossed out I must remove them!! Wazine, I am told, is the answer....

I feed mine nasturtium, garlic, pumpkin, dill, and mint. Never had worms in mine. I stay away from medicated dewormer if you read the label you are not supposed to eat the eggs for 14 days. What would I do with that many unsafe to eat eggs?
Some environments carry a heavy worm load, some do not. In places where the worm load is heavy the only way to ensure a healthy flock is to worm regularly with chemical wormers. There is generally a two week withdrawl recommendation for eggs, but no studies have been done to actually determine if there is any residual medication in the eggs for most wormers as they are used off label for chickens. Many people ignore the withdrawl and continue to use the eggs. Some of the same medications are used in humans, the risk would be an allergic reaction if you were sensitive to that particular medication. So some people toss the eggs, some feed them back to the chickens, some continue to use them. Do what you are comfortable with. I choose to worm rather than have sick or dead birds from parasites when they can be easily treated, and a heavy worm load in a bird CAN make them very ill, weaken them, and can cause death.

Does this mean you've never seen worms or you actually had a fecal float done by a professional?

I will have to google nasturtium, since I don't know what it is.

Please note..mot all pumpkin species are the same and studies using it also use a very specific variety.

Supporting your birds to be healthy is good way for THEIR own system to keep things in check..

Back
Top Bottom