ACV & Yogurt

KimDunn

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2019
So I noticed several of my girls don’t have perfectly clean vents. Their feathers aren’t terribly messy but I don’t want vent gleet to get going. I started adding ACV to their water and giving everybody plain yogurt in the morning. This isn’t going to cause any issue right? ALSO, they LOVE the yogurt. My RIR literally burries her head in it up to her eyes!!!

From my understanding ACV can interfere with calcium uptake, and dairy can cause diarrhea. Both seem to be a cure all to some people.

Some dairy is fine. With ACV you should always offer a source of clean fresh water as well.

Loose droppings can be caused by all kinds of stuff. From drinking more water to worms, to bad feed. Even too much protein can cause loose dropping. Best to feed a balanced ration, and cut out extras to see if poops firm up.

From my
Loose droppings can be caused by all kinds of stuff. From drinking more water to worms, to bad feed. Even too much protein can cause loose dropping. Best to feed a balanced ration, and cut out extras to see if poops firm up.
So, they actually don’t have loose droppings. Somebody does but I don’t know which one. 99% of the poo piles in there are solid and normal looking.

If it's not fecal matter on their vents, it would be best to determine what the issue is.

Personally, I won't use ACV or yogurt (or dairy at all). I don't believe the hype about ACV and like mentioned, it's possible it could actually be detrimental. I've read it's especially bad to add in the summer. And since chickens don't digest dairy well and most yogurt barely has any live cultures left in it, I find the idea useless.

If you want to add probiotics, I would go get some that are meant for chickens. Most farm stores carry them and they aren't very expensive.

If you decide it IS vent gleet, you'll want to treat for that with an anti-fungal medicine.

Don't tell the French folks that dairy is not good for chickens ... as they not only have been feeding them dairy ... but it is a National requirement in-order to sell their Breese chickens labeled as Breese ...

Don't tell the French folks that dairy is not good for chickens ... as they not only have been feeding them dairy ... but it is a National requirement in-order to sell their Breese chickens labeled as Breese ...
Yes, to chickens they're about to butcher, not their laying hens. Don't think they mind their roasters having something unhealthy.

This is interesting 123RedBeard. What do you usually feed your hens and roosters?

Really?

Would YOU feed a chicken you were preparing to get ready for butchering for yourself to eat, something "unhealthy"?
If we're talking milk and cornmeal for a week or two, sure. It's not on the level of anthrax or something :lau

I feel differently about what a bird that will be butchered soon eats vs what my layers and breeders eat, they have different purposes. I wouldn't abuse butcher birds, but I'd be fine feeding them more corn and maybe even milk. But I don't feel it's necessary to give my layers dairy when it's not that easy for them to digest, I want them on the best ration I can give them in order to get the best and most eggs I can.

What do you feed Mosey2003? Do you give your roosters anything different? It would be a little challenging for me to do that because their all in the same coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom