Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by berniezahm, Jan 13, 2012.

1. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Is it correct that ad block only works with Chrome and Fire Fox browsers? Another words, it does not work with the most commonly used web browser, Internet Explorer? Maybe I just don't know how to work the ad block. Need some help. I didn't see any mention of it in the FAQs. Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Suspect it DOES work with IE. Likely, the newer versions? It does work with Safari as well.

Tried Chrome/Mac today. BYC is blazing fast on Chrome, FWIW.

3. berniezahm

Oct 24, 2008
    Found it! Click "MY Profile" tab at top of page. When your profile comes up then click on "Edit Account Details" in the top right corner of the first box just below your Name and Title. Then scroll down to the bottom of the Acount Details box. The last title listed in brown is "Advertising Preference" check the "turn off Advertising" and click save. The Ads go away but it does not get rid of the "Reviews" on the right side of the dialog boxes.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Haven't tried adblock on IE (eww), but it won't work to remove reviews on firefox that I have found. Works great on Chrome, no more annoying reviews! =)

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Did they change this already? I went to my profile and hit the button. The list that comes up ends with forum preferences. I see nothing about advertising.

[​IMG]

Rusty

6. berniezahm

Oct 24, 2008
    Rusty,
    I just checked, it is still there:
    1. Just click on the 'my ptofile" tab at the top of the BYC Home screen.
    2. Then on the next screen just below your name and title bar all the way to the right of the box is a bar labled "Edit Account Details" click that bar.
    3. On the next screen scroll all the way down to the last brown lettered heading "Advertising Preference" check the "Turn off Advertising" box and click the blue SAVE button. Your done.

Hope this helps.[​IMG]

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    adblocker might not remove those since they appear to be built into the site itself. A lot of forums are going to that kind of advertising so that you CAN'T block it. It allows them to get $$.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    All of it is removable if you use AdBlock and Chrome. Firefox can only block the ads, not the right bar.

10. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I have read, the option to block ads from your profile is ONLY available if you are a platinum member. (MAYBE also golden feather, but I don't think so). Any other ad blocking for us common guys has to be done by your browser.

Personally I don't begrudge them their ads, but I sure wish they'd get rid of the darn useless, annoying reviews. What purpose do they serve. Is ANYONE interested or is it just me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by