Adapt a prebuilt shed or build your own?

I didn't mean I couldn't build, use power tools etc. Some people assume a man can build something for you. I use the power tools here, do room painting etc. My dad taught me all sorts of things. I even rebuilt the carburetor, took off, put new muffler on my old VW bug years ago. I have looked at the plans, that is why I have settled on the Witchita style coop. Thanks everyone!

I am leaning towards a pre-built shed and adapting to a coop.

With a shed would rot be an issue from sitting on the ground/gravel?

Nothing wrong with going prebuilt (I'm not too handy, hubby is busy and would cut his own arm off - had a professional do the build and install and he had it up in 2 hours) but you'll need to make some changes to it, like adding ventilation, roosts, nests, etc.

If you buy a shed with a floor the entire unit should be sitting on pressure treated skids and/or concrete blocks. If you're going with a dirt floor then I imagine anything in direct contact with the ground should be pressure treated and marked for in ground usage (not sure on that).

If you decide to build yourself, get some grid paper and sketch it out first. This allows you to see how things will fit or work out shown on a scale. Remember, anything touching bare ground, gravel, or anything concrete needs to be treated! Once all the adjustments are made on the sketch, assembly is easy. And since it is done on grid paper, measurements are a breeze.

My meat bird coop is a repurposed cattle loafing shed that was on the ground when I got it. I constructed my layer coop and attached the 2 into one large barn. This wasn't difficult, but it did require re-pitching the roof of the existing shed. The coop itself was built in my barn during the winter, then disassembled and moved to the concrete pad beside my repurposed shed. If you have limited tools, try to keep things to standard unit (4x8 sheets of plywood, 2x4 studs, etc) This will keep you from having to cut or waste wood.

I utilized a shed, but I bought and built the shed to use. It’s an EZEE shed, so it was pretty easy to put together, and you can screw roosts into the walls or prop them up on stuff (I do both.) I ordered It off Walmart for $300, but Lowe’s has a larger model for $500 I wish I’d bought instead. The floors for these cost about $150-$250 at Lowe’s, but I’ve got mine put on top of a door and pallet to keep it raised.
9964D7CF-2D96-4973-A4BE-522DA1BA79AD.jpeg
0BB4A1A1-72BD-430A-8E08-51450E41A986.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom