Add straw around nest and a little remodel next to goose nest

Newbybirdmom

Hatching
Mar 4, 2024
Hi, first time geese mom here, our loving goose Christmas just lay 2 eggs yesterday. But unfortunately, Christmas picked a not ideal location to building her nest: a corner next to fence that has gap under it. The gap is not big enough for goose to go through but big enough for eggs to accidentally roll down the hill. So before I think too much, I put a black plastic planter box to block the gap and also some straw around the nest to keep Christmas comfy. My question is: even didn't relocated the nest, would Christmas abandon her nest because of the changes I did? I didn't see her going back to sit on nest after since. I know some geese wouldn't sit on eggs until laying enough eggs, but it still makes me anxious.

How old is she?
Are those her first 2 eggs ever?
Geese dont normally lay 2 eggs in one day, they lay one egg every other day.
I would take up the eggs.
A hole in a fence is an invitation to predators anyway ... fix the hole and let her lay eggs somewhere new, she will make a new nest somewhere else.
You do not want her to go broody is this is her first year laying eggs. thats why I asked her age..

How old is she?
Are those her first 2 eggs ever?
Geese dont normally lay 2 eggs in one day, they lay one egg every other day.
I would take up the eggs.
A hole in a fence is an invitation to predators anyway ... fix the hole and let her lay eggs somewhere new, she will make a new nest somewhere else.
You do not want her to go broody is this is her first year laying eggs. thats why I asked her age..
First, thank you for your reply
For your questions:

1. She is two years old, we adopted her last year.
2. No, according to her previous owners, she was a eggs goose.
3.Isn't the hatch rate higher if with mama goose? I maybe wrong
5. We live in center urban neighborhood. Never have predators. We also keep a live guard dog with our birds.

For your questions:

5. We live in center urban neighborhood. Never have predators. We also keep a live guard dog with our birds.
ok great but i would still repair the fence because if she hatched babies there they could go through the hole and that would be awful.
i collect my goose eggs and we make omelettes 😁
they are fine to eat

by the way, neighbor’s dogs are one of the worst predators. (just in case if goslings fall out the fence hole and down the hill and your geese and your guard dog cant reach them to protect them)

Last edited:
Hi, first time geese mom here, our loving goose Christmas just lay 2 eggs yesterday. But unfortunately, Christmas picked a not ideal location to building her nest: a corner next to fence that has gap under it. The gap is not big enough for goose to go through but big enough for eggs to accidentally roll down the hill. So before I think too much, I put a black plastic planter box to block the gap and also some straw around the nest to keep Christmas comfy. My question is: even didn't relocated the nest, would Christmas abandon her nest because of the changes I did? I didn't see her going back to sit on nest after since. I know some geese wouldn't sit on eggs until laying enough eggs, but it still makes me anxious.
Latest update:
Christmas lay another egg this morning in the nest. Everything should be fine now.

For your questions:

Can you give here a covered box with lots of bedding material to build a nest out of. Over cover is really attractive for a nest. Even a large dog crate can work. People have carved openings in 55 gallon containers and they like them. https://www.metzerfarms.com/blog/time-to-prepare-duck-and-goose-nests.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom