Added vitamins for silkies

My Golden Comets and Barred Rocks love their wet feed.
For my standards I measure 2 Tablespoons dry for each chicken.
I add water to make a soupy mash, the crumbles quickly soak up the water to make an oatmeal consistency.
I serve immediately. 20190826_132741_resized.jpg . This is a treat. They have dry crumbles available all day.
I use cold water during hot weather and room temperature water in above freezing temps.
Make sure the feed is fresh. I had feed go bad at just 5 months past mill date. Consumption and egg production dropped off drastically.
Appetite and egg production resumed when I gave them fresh feed. GC

I fed my chickens fermented feed for 7-8 months at one time because I believed a lot of the hype. You can try it yourself, but I prefer the ease of feeding dry feed. Then every other day, I empty feeders and mix the remains with water which the chickens love.

Since some vitamins can be overdosed because they are fat soluble (A, D, and E,) if you want to give a vitamin boost, try some super B Complex tablets. Those are hold to overdose. B vitamins, especailly B1 thiamine can help with appetite. B 2 riboflavin is good for legs. A tablet can be crushed and sprinkled over food, or you can dissolve 1 tablet in water and sprinkle that over a small amount of your feed. Some put it in the water, but it can settle out and the taste might not be attractive.

Chickens love variation in their food just as we do. My chickens get fermented feed routinely, but sometimes I pour a little dry feed into their bowls at the end of the day, and they attack it like it was a rare delicacy.

I've been feeding FF for more years than I can remember now, but I have to conclude it's done some good or I wouldn't have so many geriatric hens in such good health. If you keep chickens as pets and enjoy having them with you (in good health) longer than the average five or six years, I highly recommend FF.

I have silkies and I feed the entire flock chick starter because it has the higher protein that silkies need. I only add vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics to the water when I have young chicks, in the summer when the temperature is very high, and when there is illness in the flock. All the vitamins your chickens need is in the feed (so long as it is a good brand).

I have silkies and I feed the entire flock chick starter because it has the higher protein that silkies need. I only add vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics to the water when I have young chicks, in the summer when the temperature is very high, and when there is illness in the flock. All the vitamins your chickens need is in the feed (so long as it is a good brand).
Interesting. Where did you learn they need a higher protein feed? All my Bantam chickens and Ducks eat 16% protein and doing fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom