Adding (2) 5 week old pullets to flock of (3) 1.5 year old birds

JamesZ

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2020
Dallas, TX
I just placed an order for two 4-5 week old pullets which will arrive in a week. I have a pretty large enclosure roughly 42' x 8', but with the new birds being so young, do I need to keep them in a separate enclosure for a few months or do I have enough space that the birds will be ok? Also, should I also keep them separate to feed them a grower mix instead of a layer mix? I'm thinking about buying a small coop to house the new birds for a few months.

The current birds are a silver laced wyandotte, gold laced wyandotte, and an americana. The new pullets are an easter egger and a Cuckoo Maran. The silver laced wyandotte is the top of the pecking order, but I very rarely see any pecking or aggression. Attached are some photos of the enclosure. Any advice would be great as I'm rushing to figure out if I need to order new food and a new coop for these pullets.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_181147.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181147.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200601_181204.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181204.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
So depending on where you're sourcing them from, you may want to consider medical quarantine - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

If that's not feasible (which it's not in most backyard set ups) or you're willing to take the chance, then you can proceed to the see but don't touch part of integration, where the new birds are fenced either next to the run or in a mini enclosure inside the run, for 1-2 weeks in order to get the birds acclimated to one another. Your run looks fairly secure so as long as you can provide the newbies with shelter from wind/rain in their enclosure, having them in an actual coop is optional (or a prefab would be acceptable for that).

Also looking at your run, you'll want to look around for some clutter to add so when it comes time for the birds to actually begin interacting face to face, the new birds have avenues of escape - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @JamesZ
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1595939899422.png

Instead of a new mini coop, I would use a small dog crate. Fence off a corner of that lovely set up, with a food station And the dog crate. At night, pick up crate and put it in your coop, morning put it back in the corner.

After two or three days, lift the fence a couple inches off the floor. Allowing the chicks to move in and out, but keep the big girls out. This lets them work this out on their terms, and escape when needed. A week and they will be in, so to speak. Then just leave the dog crate open in the coop. And the chicks will go to the coop too.

When I look at your run I see two things, no use of vertical space, and a bird in any part of the coop, can see any other bird 100% of the time. I would add some pallets, small pieces of plywood, an ladder or saw horses, boxes. A lot of stuff so that birds can get behind, on top, underneath and be out of sight of each other for a moment. It will look cluttered to you, but much more interesting to the birds.

Mrs K

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a dog fence which I will cover the top, additional feeder and waterer, and grower food for the pullets. I'm planning on leaving them in there until they get to be around 20 weeks old (time when they should switch to the layer food). Or at least that's the plan for now. Also, I'm located in Dallas.

Back
Top Bottom