Adding a new hen

Phisch

Songster
Oct 3, 2018
No, we didn't put her in a separate crate inside of the coop.
Yes, we added her as everyone else was sleeping.
Yes, she did try to peck at other hens this morning.
No, the others aren't having any of that.
Yes, we have a rooster (so should he be keeping the other hens nice?)

But this afternoon, she's separated herself from the rest of the flock. If she gets close, some of the others come and peck at her head. Not a lot, but it happens. Will she eventually be a part of the flock? Anything we can do for her to help her feel more at home? Or at least speed up this whole settle the pecking order thing.

The pecking is going to happen, whether you allowed them to see each other before adding her or not. She will probably be at the bottom of the pecking order for a while because she is the new kid, but if they do not try full on attack her she will be fine. As time goes on she will fit in, it will just take time.

Thanks for the reassurance! This is our first flock of chickens and I knew this was possible. It doesn't feel good to watch it play out, though! Reality bites. Or puts you in your pecking order place, LOL!

Welllllllll the hen in charge pulled a feather out of her. I’m sure it will sort out but Id love it to be done sooner than later.

In other news, how long before the new hen imprints on the coop? The whole flock had been kept cooped up since Tuesday at bedtime. All will be let out tomorrow around 3pm or so (after newbie’s wing gets clipped). Will the new girl just follow the others to roost?

I have a new hen I introduced a month and a half ago. I kept her isolated in her own roost and run sepperated by chicken wire. I just put her in with the others a week ago. She stays her distance from them and they pick on her a little but it's getting better every day they are together. I let them out during the day and she is now starting to stay closer to them as they hunt the yard.

Welllllllll the hen in charge pulled a feather out of her. I’m sure it will sort out but Id love it to be done sooner than later.

In other news, how long before the new hen imprints on the coop? The whole flock had been kept cooped up since Tuesday at bedtime. All will be let out tomorrow around 3pm or so (after newbie’s wing gets clipped). Will the new girl just follow the others to roost?
I would guess a few weeks, but that is just an estimate. She should follow the others, but it may take a few days to get into the pattern of things.

Will find out today! Can’t keep them cooped in one more day, they’d just revolt. She’s super mellow and just does the mellow chicken thing in the coop and eats after everyone else. Hopefully she’ll just in with, or after, everyone else to night. She did sleep with everyone every night so far which I take as a good sign. She is comfortable going for food if there are just a couple of hens around but not the whole group.

Back
Top Bottom