Adding a Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flavum, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Flavum

Flavum Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Hey gang

I was thinking of getting a roo today for my girls. A couple days ago a hen was attacked by what I think was a hawk but shes recovery nicely now. She still isn't back to herself, a little more lethargic but eating and drinking some.

So my question is would it be risky adding a roo with a semi hurt hen? Of course id rather be safe then sorry but any input is appreciated.

Also the hens and the roo are around 7 months.

2. Flavum

Flavum Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Bumpity Bump

3. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I would wait until the hen is healthier just in case he is aggressive at first. If a hawk did attack her I think adding a rooster is a good idea. A rooster will at all costs protect his hens even if it means dieing for them. My rooster attacked a hawk saving my hen and the hawk hasn't come back. He has his battle wounds but the girls always hang around him because he is the watchful eye to protect them for any danger.

4. Reyort

Reyort Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Beaumont, Texas
    A good Roo is worth his weight in gold. I would add one.

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I find it quite intriguing to watch our rooster and his behavior with the nine hens. Nature in balance.

He spends a lot of time when they are foraging just standing and watching. He calls them over when he finds some goodies, and stands there while they eat the treats. When something strange happens, he will sound off so that the girls can get under cover.

When a hawk flew over, he made such a fuss that I and the dog went to see what the problem was. I saw the hawk circling overhead.

Some folks complain about the loudness of a rooster, but I think that the barking dogs and occasional loud car are more annoying. My neighbors like the rooster. Interesting feelings are evoked upon his crowing.

Of course, there are some bad roosters. They harass the people who care for them. Freezer camp takes care of that.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by