Adding a rooster

FleishyWifey

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
We currently have 14 full sized girls and one bantam Cochin girl. We have two bantam Roos, one Japanese black tail and one golden laced polish. Our 14 girls range from buff orphingtons, barred rocks, dominique, australorp, and golden sex links.
my question is, would you add a barred rock rooster, or a golden Wyandotte rooster? Mainly for the purpose of protections, but we’re not opposed to chicks in the future. Thanks.

Attachments

• 6802707E-251F-43AA-BD08-E099BFB90A42.jpeg
    6802707E-251F-43AA-BD08-E099BFB90A42.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 0E2EF1F4-684A-4C32-8202-565E31ED2546.jpeg
    0E2EF1F4-684A-4C32-8202-565E31ED2546.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
If you add an adult rooster to an established flock there will be fighting with your bantam roosters and the possibility of injury. In most instances the only protection a rooster provides is as a warning system. Your bantam roosters provide that. There are roosters who will fight a predator, but the only ones I have experienced are game fowl roosters.

We currently have 14 full sized girls and one bantam Cochin girl. We have two bantam Roos, one Japanese black tail and one golden laced polish. Our 14 girls range from buff orphingtons, barred rocks, dominique, australorp, and golden sex links.
my question is, would you add a barred rock rooster, or a golden Wyandotte rooster? Mainly for the purpose of protections, but we’re not opposed to chicks in the future. Thanks.
Golden laces polish roosters are not bantams. im pretty sure. Both roosters will do a good job at protecting The hens. So it’s up to you. I would go with the gold laced wyandotte. It’s very pretty and is good in gold temps

Since you already have 2 bantam roos, I would think adding 2 standard size roosters would probably end in serious bloodshed, maybe death.

Unless maybe you have a huge area?

But my first criteria for picking which rooster stays is always personality.

The male MUST be good with the hens, good with other males, and good with humans...

Back
Top Bottom