Adding a young cockerel to already laying pullets

Question...
Likelihood this has stressed my girls out?? I NEVER have softshell egg issues...(thus far) and yesterday there was 1 and today there was 3!!!! When I opened the coop. They are on layer/all flock and OS on the side?!?! Any thoughts?? @3KillerBs

It doesn't sound like a stressful situation to me.

But it is fall so if any of your girls are going into molt that's a likely time to see them drop some softies.

FINAL UPDATE (because no one needs a constant play by play of Johnny's life 🤣🤣🤣)
Today was my first day back to work since getting Johnny 3 days ago. I came home on my 30 min lunch to check things out and he seemed to be interacting alright. I didn't see any intentional chasing and no pecking. Johnny does run when some of the girls come towards him...but alas ...teenage boy lol.

I heard him tidbit twice (or at least what I think once a tidbit) he'd find a snack, pick it up, drop it, make this noise, look at it, pick it up drop it, make noise. When the girls would come over to see....he'd run 🤣🤣🤣🤣

at bed time, I tried to put him in first on the roost...he got scared when the girls came in and jumped out. I put him in the back where he can roost on the nesting boxes...I know not totally recommended but I have 3 Divas who also sleep on the nesting boxes on the other side always have, and I suspect always will...I have a kitty litter scoop and scoop it every morning ...not a big deal to me.

All in all I'd say Johnny will find his place in the flock soon enough....
Idk if I'd have continued with the see no touch method if he could have slipped in without any kinda upset....ill never know...
but ...I think it's gone well and the girls and Johnny are handling it like champs lol

Pic1 Johnny and some of the girls having a snack.

Pic2 Just Johnny bc he's pretty darn handsome 😍😍🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 20221007_162232.jpg
    20221007_162232.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221005_100407.jpg
    20221005_100407.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 10
FINAL UPDATE (because no one needs a constant play by play of Johnny's life 🤣🤣🤣)
Today was my first day back to work since getting Johnny 3 days ago. I came home on my 30 min lunch to check things out and he seemed to be interacting alright. I didn't see any intentional chasing and no pecking. Johnny does run when some of the girls come towards him...but alas ...teenage boy lol.

I heard him tidbit twice (or at least what I think once a tidbit) he'd find a snack, pick it up, drop it, make this noise, look at it, pick it up drop it, make noise. When the girls would come over to see....he'd run 🤣🤣🤣🤣

at bed time, I tried to put him in first on the roost...he got scared when the girls came in and jumped out. I put him in the back where he can roost on the nesting boxes...I know not totally recommended but I have 3 Divas who also sleep on the nesting boxes on the other side always have, and I suspect always will...I have a kitty litter scoop and scoop it every morning ...not a big deal to me.

All in all I'd say Johnny will find his place in the flock soon enough....
Idk if I'd have continued with the see no touch method if he could have slipped in without any kinda upset....ill never know...
but ...I think it's gone well and the girls and Johnny are handling it like champs lol

Pic1 Johnny and some of the girls having a snack.

Pic2 Just Johnny bc he's pretty darn handsome 😍😍🤣🤣🤣

Sounds like you're off to a really good start here.

Give us an update when he's matured and become flockmaster. :)

I am planning on adding a Bantam cochin (gosh I think that's how you spell it) cockerel to my 5m old pullets (a few of them bantam). All but 2 are laying. (19 girls)

What can I expect as far as dynamic changing. I think it'll be great for the ladies. Is one enough for 19 girls? I really would like to avoid 2 as hubby just came around to 1 lol. But if I need to add 2 I would like to do it at the same time.

Tips on intergrating?
I have a way for them to do the see don't touch method for a little while, and I plan on adding him to the flock when I have my 3 consecutive days off work so I can watch them all.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Hello. I just came across your post. It is said that 8 to 10 hens per room. The reason for this is roo will often mount 30 or more times a day and if your flock is lower numbers it can be hard on the girls. Bare backs, heads and combs damaged. If he has enough girls to go around he will stay busy between them and many times not choose certain hens at all. I raised a roo with a group of girls the same age but when he started mating he was very aggressive with them so I put him in with my older girls. They were about the same in size so they were fine and some of the older girls taught him manners. One hen never liked him and always bucked up and wouldn't let him on her. They do pick their favorites as well as the hens do. I have a flock of pullets now that some go to my older roosters and others to the younger roo they were raised with. I might add I have separate flocks with separate cops and runs so there is alot of look but can't touch having multiple roos and other birds. Peacocks don't necessarily like roosters and drakes will hurt hens, even kill them trying to mate. Things we learn over years and no one ever mentions.

Hello. I just came across your post. It is said that 8 to 10 hens per room. The reason for this is roo will often mount 30 or more times a day and if your flock is lower numbers it can be hard on the girls. Bare backs, heads and combs damaged. If he has enough girls to go around he will stay busy between them and many times not choose certain hens at all. I raised a roo with a group of girls the same age but when he started mating he was very aggressive with them so I put him in with my older girls. They were about the same in size so they were fine and some of the older girls taught him manners. One hen never liked him and always bucked up and wouldn't let him on her. They do pick their favorites as well as the hens do. I have a flock of pullets now that some go to my older roosters and others to the younger roo they were raised with. I might add I have separate flocks with separate cops and runs so there is alot of look but can't touch having multiple roos and other birds. Peacocks don't necessarily like roosters and drakes will hurt hens, even kill them trying to mate. Things we learn over years and no one ever mentions.
Thanks for your info!!
He has 19 girls so I am sure he will be just fine once he hits maturity. As said he may not even pick some of them...(may only pick a few so that will be addressed if it happens)
Hes my only rooster, this is my only flock so he has no competition. Just waiting for him to realize it lol.

My girls are 27 and 25 wks old. He is abt 10wks younger. Itll take him some time but I am confident he will get there!!!

I so lied, I am sorry lol..but I am so excited. Look what happened tonight! Night number 5 Johnny put himself in the coop (Thank you Johnny lol) and managed to sweet talk himself a spot with the 3 of the divas Wynonna, Patsy and Dolly

Anyway it was too exciting not to share. I am just so happy to see him mixing in!!!

(The picture quality sucks!!)

Attachments

• image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 10
Johnny update!!

He is exactly 20wks today! He has begun to mate the ladies, and is pretty nice from what I've seen.
He's sooo funny when he does his little dance! He stomps his feet and I think it's the funniest, cutest thing ever!
I still have yet to hear the boy put off a crow, but alas it'll come I assume...He tries, but its highly pathetic! 🤣🤣🤷‍♀
He isn't aggressive that I've seen AT ALL!!! However, I don't mess with him AT ALL unless it's to remove him from the nesting boxes (where he still sleeps with the divas ) in the morning, and ill give him a good boy pat.
He doesn't peck me, or come after me in any sorta way.
He isnt grown up, but his teenage yrs arent too awful as of yet!
I wouldn't call him flock master yet, but he's working his way on up there.

Attachments

• 20221020_150527.jpg
    20221020_150527.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom