Adding a young cockerel to already laying pullets

UPDATE
Being as I have only 3 days to supervise this, and reading several things saying this is the easiest integration to do, I sped up the process a bit, with every intention of starting over for longer if this went south.

This morning I took Johnny out of the crate and placed him back in the dog crate. Left him there from abt 530 to 9 and released him. The girls aren't being too awful to him, other than a "hey you're new here" peck.

I showed him some of the high points in the run. He's pretty quick when he feels he needs to be. I've been outside with them supervising for 4hrs (2 consecutively) and all seems to be going pretty well. No loud screeching. Every time I go over there Johnny is standing somewhere new...learning his environment and the girls seem to be going abt their day with an occasional ...small chase and peck

We shall see how tonight goes.

I realize more time would be better but alas, life....

(Please know I'd never leave him in a dangerous situation!)

Attachments

• 20221005_092313.jpg
    20221005_092313.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221005_101453.jpg
    20221005_101453.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221005_091939.jpg
    20221005_091939.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
UPDATE
Everyone usually is on the roost by 7pm. This was true last night except for Johnny (to be expected) I put Johnny in the coop around 730 or so and shut the doors. I checked later and he was sleeping at the front of the coop, in front of the roosts. I left him there.

I let everyone out at 530. Johnny spent the entire night on the floor instead of the roosts. (Also to be expected lol) so this morning as the girls hopped out, I placed him on the roost.

When I picked him up he was in a stall with his siblings, and had been since my DIL got them like 12wks ago, but there were no roosts so they all were sleeping on the floor. Seems like he's comfortable there but I hope eventually he will roost regularly on his own.

Seems like Johnny may have been a submissive cockerel being as there were at least 6 I saw from the hatch (HUGE HATCH, the boys will be harvested) I haven't heard him crow yet 😕 (like this is a rooster right?!?! Bahahaha)

I am curious to see how today goes! 🤞🤞🤞 fingers crossed bc starting tomorrow I work the next 4 days.

(Johnny exploring the coop yesterday and on the roost this morning after I put him there)

Attachments

• 20221005_163832.jpg
    20221005_163832.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221006_054229.jpg
    20221006_054229.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 8
I am planning on adding a Bantam cochin (gosh I think that's how you spell it) cockerel to my 5m old pullets (a few of them bantam). All but 2 are laying. (19 girls)

What can I expect as far as dynamic changing. I think it'll be great for the ladies. Is one enough for 19 girls? I really would like to avoid 2 as hubby just came around to 1 lol. But if I need to add 2 I would like to do it at the same time.

Tips on intergrating?
I have a way for them to do the see don't touch method for a little while, and I plan on adding him to the flock when I have my 3 consecutive days off work so I can watch them all.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Be careful, my month and a half cockerel was scalped by my bigs, and he was with them for a month of see/no touch. I took him out, treated him and didn't put him back until he was three months.

He's male.
Don't worry, he will start crowing once he's settled and more confident.
Thanks, I was like 99.9% sure I've learned enough on here to pick out a cockerel, 🤣🤣🤣🤣
but then you have my hubby laughing bc "wouldn't it be funny if you just got hen that is ready to lay"
uh no...no it wouldn't be lol

I wondered if it would take some time, kinda like when you get a laying hen and she doesn't lay for a few days bc of new surroundings and chickens and such.
Thank you again.

Thanks, I was like 99.9% sure I've learned enough on here to pick out a cockerel, 🤣🤣🤣🤣
but then you have my hubby laughing bc "wouldn't it be funny if you just got hen that is ready to lay"
uh no...no it wouldn't be lol

Johnny has a male-specific color pattern. :)

And a glorious set of male saddles.

The girls and Johnny mingled a bit yesterday. By mingled I mean they all did their own thing lol.

Johnny spends a good amount of time off by himself in a corner of the run.....I look in and he's either laying down (a lot), roosting on something or what seems to be trying to intermingle.

I did see a little bit of chase and peck yesterday morning but not much...

I had to put Johnny in the coop again at night, and he slept on the floor, up front again.

Letting them out at 315ish this morning Johnny decided to stay in the coop in the back by the nesting boxes. Some of the girls came out, grabbed something to eat and drink then bedded down in the run.... they hopped right past Johnny and out the door with no issue.

I am at work today, fingers crossed for Johnny, but I don't reckon he'll have too terrible of a day.

I have taken to tossing extra feed on the run floor so just in case he doesn't get a feeder he has the option to scratch around the ground. (I have 3 5 gallon no waste feeders set up each with 4 holes)

I have 3 5 gallon nipple waterers out which I've seen him use (4 nipples a piece) and a regular chicken waterer as well with electrolytes in it figuring this being a stressful situation and all, plus I thought Johnny may be able to use the boost.

Question...
Likelihood this has stressed my girls out?? I NEVER have softshell egg issues...(thus far) and yesterday there was 1 and today there was 3!!!! When I opened the coop. They are on layer/all flock and OS on the side?!?! Any thoughts?? @3KillerBs

Attachments

• 20221006_153524.jpg
    20221006_153524.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom