Adding a young cockerel to already laying pullets

Pics

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
I am planning on adding a Bantam cochin (gosh I think that's how you spell it) cockerel to my 5m old pullets (a few of them bantam). All but 2 are laying. (19 girls)

What can I expect as far as dynamic changing. I think it'll be great for the ladies. Is one enough for 19 girls? I really would like to avoid 2 as hubby just came around to 1 lol. But if I need to add 2 I would like to do it at the same time.

Tips on intergrating?
I have a way for them to do the see don't touch method for a little while, and I plan on adding him to the flock when I have my 3 consecutive days off work so I can watch them all.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Whenever introducing a new bird, especially if you're only adding one, you'll want to use the 'see, don't touch' method. Something like a large wire dog crate works great. The new bird goes in the crate in the coop where the whole flock can meet him and get used to his presence without attacking.
I would keep him in the crate for about a week before letting him intermingle.
One rooster for that many hens is fine. I believe the "one roosters per ten hens" are more of a fertility guideline.

Do you have any objects in the run or coop for hiding spaces? Integration is easier if there are spots for the new bird to get a break and not constantly be in sight of the flock.
I have a couple but it is now on my list to add a bit more. I also have a roosting ladder (landings to help get to the next level) I made that the top roost sits abt 7ft off the ground and only has room for one bird. (It sets up like an easel and top roost is only so long in-between the A style frame) the roof of the coop is also accessible.

I have a couple but it is now on my list to add a bit more. I also have a roosting ladder (landings to help get to the next level) I made that the top roost sits abt 7ft off the ground and only has room for one bird. (It sets up like an easel and top roost is only so long in-between the A style frame) the roof of the coop is also accessible.
That sounds great!

He is younger than pullets. Hes 11wks or so

He's still a comparative baby so the ladies are likely to be rather heartless to him until he matures enough to impress him (think of a 16yo boy crashing a woman's book club meeting).

Make sure there is plenty of "clutter" so he'll have a place to escape to.

Once he's old enough to become flockmaster and mate with the ladies you'll have to judge your fertility by the results. I've got a young, vigorous rooster who was doing his duty by ~20 ladies over the past couple months but sometimes that doesn't pan out and I'm going to keep one of his sons to help out.

Back
Top Bottom