Adding ACV and Cayenne pepper to water

Try seeing this video i just found her chikens look great
Where in that video does she say "I had their poop tested and they found a moderate load of *insert worm name here*. I fed them DE for x number of days, then had another fecal done and zero worm eggs were detected"?

We all want to do things the most natural way possible, I get that, but if you're seeing evidence of worms you should treat them with a chemical de-wormer.

I feel like yall don't like to use natural remedies because other threads I've read talk about all the benifits and why to do it but here im getting comments that don't use Natural Remedies. I was just asking if anyone knew the right ratio to serve in 1 gallon of chiken water. If you do research most of chiken owners love to use there ingredients this is the first time I've heard that nobody liked using them. i guess it depends how a person takes care of their chikens their own ways

I understand you. I did try to treat my chickens naturally but when I lost half of my birds I had to give them medicines.

it is like with humans. we can drink herbal tea just to prevent disease. but once we get sick we need medicines.

if you have success with natural worming just go on. but if you see that your chickens are loosing weight give them something more efficient.

Where in that video does she say "I had their poop tested and they found a moderate load of *insert worm name here*. I fed them DE for x number of days, then had another fecal done and zero worm eggs were detected"?

We all want to do things the most natural way possible, I get that, but if you're seeing evidence of worms you should treat them with a chemical de-wormer.
Agree - DE is NOT intended for use as an internal de-wormer. DE is sometimes added to stalls/coops, food products in small amounts to prevent critters from hatching out. Becky mixes her own grains and it can help her storage situation...but it seems a wild and potentially harmful theory to increase dose for internal pests when it is not recommended for that purpose. Important to understand how it works~ Powdered form is a desiccant and helps prevent hatch out and growth of a variety of insects. It DRIES OUT and irritates Cell tissues until a larvae or egg dies. You don't want it in your lungs and it is not recommended for the use being described. A small amount in grains can be tolerated, but call the company and they will tell you they don't - and cannot - recommend more than a light dusting in feed storage bins.

My Chickens are Organic, and I add a little home-brewed, unpasteurized ACV occasionally to glass or plastic waterers. A variety of whole grains and seeds can help expel stuff and stimulate healthy tissues, as a treat. after a full ration of Layer Feed. Preventatives are one thing. But I don't want internal drying of my Chicks tissues, and if they ever pick up worms, you can bet they will get a medicine proven to work for that purpose.

Last edited:
Agree - DE is NOT intended for use as an internal de-wormer. DE is sometimes added to stalls/coops, food products in small amounts to prevent critters from hatching out. Becky mixes her own grains and it van help her storage situation...but it seems a wild theory to use increase dose for internal pests when it is not recommended for that purpose. Important to understand how it works~ Powdered form is as a desiccant and helps prevent hatch out and growth of a variety of insects. It DRIES OUT and irritates Cell tissues until a larvae or egg dies. You don't want it in your lungs and it is not recommended for the use being described. A small amount in grains can be tolerated, but call the company and they will tell you they don't - and cannot - recommend more than a light dusting in feed storage bins.
If you where to recommend a good dewormer what will it be to use on my chikens and what will be the ratio for normal size hens

If you where to recommend a good dewormer what will it be to use on my chickens and what will be the ratio for normal size hens
A couple people provided answers earlier in the thread, I think. A fecal test get you the best answer - to avoid that cost Chicken Keepers try to use a product which may work on more than one species, and do it or another seasonally. Answered by a VET here, is a rotating Best Practices treatment protocol since there are numerous kinds of internal worms. https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/

Organic is a fallacy and many non organic medications are approved in fact!

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Poultry - Guidelines.pdf

Taken from that link..

"Prohibited -Withholding medical treatment from a sick animal to maintain organic status"

http://www.usfarad.org/treating-layers.html

https://aldf.org/article/egg-labeling-regulations-guide/

Drug residues in eggs..
http://www.farad.org/publications/digests/122015EggResidue.pdf

Please try not to forget that just because something is natural doesn't make it safe.. think arsenic and cyanide, even lead..

Just because something has been developed and studied doesn't make it bad.. we must choose the lesser of the evils!

Those videos posted.. lots of feel good stuff without a drop of evidence.

Either way. I'm out, each to their own.. knowledge is power, ignorance be bliss.. You do YOU! I can't save the world or it's chickens. BYC, empowers us all to make truly informed choices, that align with OUR own personal thoughts regardless of whether others agree or not. :)

I'm anti big pharma and big chicken or big anything else.. but when my animals have any obvious parasite load.. I DO treat with something proven effective instead of something that "might" help.

For those using alternative worming methods.. if you won't or can't have floats done consider doing your own before and after load counts.. playing around with a microscope can be quite fun. And by ALL means, start a thread, track your results.. Do something big pharma and big chicken won't.. Pull together your resources and information in a manner that CAN refute all the ney sayers.. PLEASE?!! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom