Adding baby chicks to current 2 week old chicks

Bethel_Alaska

Songster
Apr 28, 2019
Bethel Alaska
Hi there I just have a couple questions we have 8 2 week old chicks and just received 3 day olds this morning I tried putting them together with the others and feel they are so tiny compared to the others and they were getting trampled on so I put them in a bin by them selfs in the brooder should I let them not be separated or keep them separate for a couple days? Will the others kill or hurt the babies?

Any and all advice is truly helpful and greatly appreciated

Thank you so much

I'm in the same boat as you, though I only have three 2-week-olds (two BRs and one Brown Leghorn) and I got four babies (all RIRxRIW Cinnamon Queens) this morning. They have been altogether today and the older ones (mostly the leghorn) peck a little, but mostly getting used to the new ones. The pecking doesn't seem violent and everyone seems ok so far. I think it is better to get them integrated sooner than later, but we've been watching all day.

I'm curious about other people's experiences too.

I'm in the same boat as you, though I only have three 2-week-olds (two BRs and one Brown Leghorn) and I got four babies (all RIRxRIW Cinnamon Queens) this morning. They have been altogether today and the older ones (mostly the leghorn) peck a little, but mostly getting used to the new ones. The pecking doesn't seem violent and everyone seems ok so far. I think it is better to get them integrated sooner than later, but we've been watching all day.

I'm curious about other people's experiences too.
Thank you for sharing your helpful info I still have them separated uhg they just seem so tiny compared to the 2week olds and the babies just arrived via mail so I don’t want the risk of them not making it due to the travel from Ohio all the way to Alaska geez idk what to do ‍♀️

An update on mine: the pecking we had from the older chicks stopped after the first day and they all get along great. The younger chicks love following the lead of the older ones and the older ones are cool with it too.

An update on mine: the pecking we had from the older chicks stopped after the first day and they all get along great. The younger chicks love following the lead of the older ones and the older ones are cool with it too.
Awe thank you for the update I am so glad to hear they are doing great.. I finally added the babies to the flock yesterday and watched them for a very long time and saw that the babies were actually holding there ground with the other chicks yaaaay. I have checked on them off and on and found them all snuggled up with each other so I am glad they all are getting along Would love to see pics of yours I will share ours too thank you again for your update

Here's one from that first day with the younger chicks.

IMG_20190508_065005567.jpg

The brooder was bigger that it looks in the photo, and we actually moved the out to the coop today with a great lamp to give them more room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom