Adding bantams to established full size flock

I've got bantams with my full size birds. No issues at all. Our Serama rooster rules the roost. It was pretty funny the first few days watching a golden Phoenix run from a Serama but once the pecking order was established it has been peaceful.

plenty of room in the coop
What does this mean in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help.
Integration works best with extra space.
Lots of space outside the coop does not always rarely makes up for too little space inside the coop....unless the run is weather and predator proof.

I appreciate everyone weighing in. This is certainly a "toughie." I would love to add bantams, and it does sound like they can do fine with a standard flock, but that sometimes they do not. Having places to perch up high seems essential. I really love my birds, and when they get stressed out I FEEL it. It would make me so sad to have them stressed. Although I bet my roo would care for them like he does the rest of his flock...
I love hearing the stories of how one of the other chickens adopted them and let them roost under her wings :)
Certain breeds can get up high, others like cochins and silkies cannot. It is no life for a bantam to have to hide all the time.

I have 3 bantams and 3 half bantam-half standard pullets with about 15 standard sized chickens, including 2 cockerels.
My two bantam roos died.
None of my bantams run from my LF birds.
They’re pretty spunky little girls lol.
Two are Cochins and one is a OEGB and they march right around like they own the place.
My only concern is when my large NN rooster breeds the bantams, I swear it looks like he’s going to crush them.
I really don’t want any injuries so currently I’m planning on getting another bantam rooster and hopefully they’ll bond with him.
I’m just not sure whether it’d be best to raise one from a chick or bring in one already mature :confused:
I’m also not sure what breed to go with since I want the bantam roo to be capable of standing up to my LF roosters and hopefully keep them away from his girls.

I have 3 bantams and 3 half bantam-half standard pullets with about 15 standard sized chickens, including 2 cockerels.
My two bantam roos died.
None of my bantams run from my LF birds.
They’re pretty spunky little girls lol.
Two are Cochins and one is a OEGB and they march right around like they own the place.
My only concern is when my large NN rooster breeds the bantams, I swear it looks like he’s going to crush them.
I really don’t want any injuries so currently I’m planning on getting another bantam rooster and hopefully they’ll bond with him.
I’m just not sure whether it’d be best to raise one from a chick or bring in one already mature :confused:
I’m also not sure what breed to go with since I want the bantam roo to be capable of standing up to my LF roosters and hopefully keep them away from his girls.
I don't think a new bantam rooster will "take over" the bantam girls. Your current rooster has already claimed them.

They will need their own coop if you want them to have their own rooster.

I don't think a new bantam rooster will "take over" the bantam girls. Your current rooster has already claimed them.

They will need their own coop if you want them to have their own rooster.
Yes sorry I forgot to mention they do have their own coop with enclosed run.
I figured I’d have to close the new roo off with them in there and not let them free range for a week or two.
Would Angus try to reclaim them if I let them out to free range?

So I've now read that adding bantams to an established flock can work and can NOT work. Curious what you all out there think about my situation: My established flock consists of 6 total, including 1 very nice Roo (a Blue Laced Wyondotte), 1 Blue Laced Wyondotte (hen), 1 Buckeye, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 Australorp and 1 Americauna. I really am after having more "pet like" chickens who, as bonus, lay me and my partner delicious eggs. They are confined to a small yard (approx 1000sqft) for a portion of the day and then free range for a few hours out in the orchard we live on. We have plenty of room in the coop for more, and I am wanting to add 2 Mille Fleurs, 2 Cochin bantams and 1 full size Wellsummer in April. By the end of the year we will be living on a new piece of property where they will get to roam 5 acres all day :) But the new chicks would have to be integrated with the existing flock, in our existing situation, for a few months before the move takes place. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!
So I've now read that adding bantams to an established flock can work and can NOT work. Curious what you all out there think about my situation: My established flock consists of 6 total, including 1 very nice Roo (a Blue Laced Wyondotte), 1 Blue Laced Wyondotte (hen), 1 Buckeye, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 Australorp and 1 Americauna. I really am after having more "pet like" chickens who, as bonus, lay me and my partner delicious eggs. They are confined to a small yard (approx 1000sqft) for a portion of the day and then free range for a few hours out in the orchard we live on. We have plenty of room in the coop for more, and I am wanting to add 2 Mille Fleurs, 2 Cochin bantams and 1 full size Wellsummer in April. By the end of the year we will be living on a new piece of property where they will get to roam 5 acres all day :) But the new chicks would have to be integrated with the existing flock, in our existing situation, for a few months before the move takes place. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

I have one Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle in my flock of 9 full size hens, she is tiny and I used to worry about her being picked on, but she quickly established herself above 3 to 4 of the full size hens, even getting the prime spot on the roost from time to time. She is one of my favorite girls and watching her run is still the cutest thing in the world. She is full of piss and vinegar (as my late father would say) and always knows where she is going and doesn't deviate.

I think the key to success with what you are wanting to do is lots of space and multiple locations for food and water until they establish themselves.
Well there's my 2 cents worth.
20180124_150550.jpg

Back
Top Bottom