Adding calcuim

NY Coturnix

Songster
May 12, 2020
New York
I'm new and my hens have been laying very regularly for the last 3 and a half weeks. They were hatch 4/1. The eggs have been great and the shells look good. My question is with no egg issues do I need to add calcium to their diets? I'm feeding them a wild bird (turkey) starter. 30% protein and 1 to 1.5% calcium. Everything I've read says that once they hit 10 weeks I can mix in a low protein higher calcium chicken food but if they're doing well should I just stay as is?

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

If you're putting the calcium in the feed, it should be 3.5% calcium. I give mine crushed egg shell and oyster shell on the side and they eat as much as they need.

If they don't get enough calcium, they will eventually start to have problems. If you're lucky it will just be soft or brittle eggshells, if not, they may become egg bound or suffer from vent prolapse.

If you're putting the calcium in the feed, it should be 3.5% calcium. I give mine crushed egg shell and oyster shell on the side and they eat as much as they need.

If they don't get enough calcium, they will eventually start to have problems. If you're lucky it will just be soft or brittle eggshells, if not, they may become egg bound or suffer from vent prolapse.

Thank you for the response. I didn't realize that could happen.

Also too high protein can cause eggbound.

30% protein is in my opinion way to high for adult quail layer hens.

I know that recommendations in US are higher than here in Germany.
I feed 19-20% protein for my mature quails.
They are laying fine and are not skinny.

just be sure any calcium supplement is finely ground.....oyster shell for chickens can result in impacted crop which can do more damage than not having enough calcium

Thanks @muddy75 , I didn't know that.

My feed has already 4.7% calcium.
I used to add calcium to the water, when the egg shells were weird, but it had no effect (as the calcium support is already fine ... logical). So I stopped it.

For grit, helping digesting, I use grit stones for pigeons, they need to peck on.
It is a bit more expensive, but A., they have something to play and B., the beaks will be grinded down a bit.

PSX_20200610_064812.jpg

For you @NY Coturnix .. , starter feed is lower on calcium, ... so please check the calcium of the 18% or 22% adult feed!!!
Should be more and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom