Adding eggs to incubator.

acdoc

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
shenadoah valley
I have a hova bator 1588 with an automatic egg turner. I put 13 eggs in it on in it monday and tomorrow thursday i need to add another two dozen,my question is will it be ok if when the origanal 13 are ready to take off of turner if it will be ok to take the other two dozen off and hand turn them untill they are ready to hatch.And what should i run the humidity the last couple of days when some are hatching and the others are setting?

I think the issue will be the time the incubator is open while you hand turn the 24 eggs and the 13 are on lockdown when theoretically it should remain closed although it seems a whole lot of folks open theirs, and then again, a whole lot of folks have problems too. I do dry hatches so I don't know about the humidity but my setting hens don't concern themselves about it and are stuck with the ambient high humidity here is rainy TN...and chickens don't sweat so that doesn't supply it.

i do that quiet often, but i have a hathcer that i made out of wood so i move them out of the incubator on the 18th day.

my understanding is that the humidity is less of a problem after the 18th day. I may be wrong but that is what i have read somewhere.
the temps should be the same as the incubator.

my understanding is that the humidity is less of a problem after the 18th day. I may be wrong but that is what i have read somewhere.
the temps should be the same as the incubator.

Actually its the complete opposite. Humidity can range during the first 18 days greatly. Once you go into lockdown, humidity is the most important part. The humidity can possibly kill your WHOLE hatch even though they have already made it that far. Humidity must be AT LEAST between 65-70%. Oh and in my brinsea packet, they said that the last three days of incubation you can actually lower the temp by three degrees. They say it isnt as important the last three days. I keep mine at 99.5 throughout the WHOLE hatch. I guess that must be true because brinsea wouldnt be telling everyone that.​

I agree that you should just make a hatching box. I made one and now I add eggs at random times to my incubator all the time. I just wait until day 18 and transfer them over.

For my hatching box I just took the styrofoam that my sewing machine was packed in and cut a huge window in the top. I taped xray film over the hole for the window. Rigged up a 25w light bulb and put water dishes in the bottom. Ten I put hardwire cloth in to cover the water and light. Piece of cake!! It actually works pretty well, too. I noticed that since I have had it running for the last 2 weeks the temp has dropped to about 95-96, but I am less worried about that than the humidity.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom