Adding More Chickens

The shallow depression in my run measures about 8x8 and is not more than 2' deep - still deep enough for a randy drake to grab a hen by the back of the neck and dunk her when she tries to ignore his attentions. A liner 15x15 would easily address that, and with a little adjustment, I could probably do 20x12 or similar. The idea would be to get about 100 sq ft of surface area for 8 birds. For 6, I'd be trying to get about 75 sq ft +/-. That's between 8 and 9' square, plus material to go up the sides and be covered at ground level. 12 x 12?

Thank you! I really was at a loss for what to floor their run with..

Another question: What size pond liner would be good for 4 ducks? I know you should always plan ahead, so in case I add to my duck flock one day, let’s talk maybe a size for 6 ducks. Just curious :)
So bigger coop for more chickens is not allowed by the 'overlords'...
...but new duck coop and run and pond is a go?

So bigger coop for more chickens is not allowed by the 'overlords'...
...but new duck coop and run and pond is a go?
Actually, not what I’ve said exactly. As with this whole duck project being planned for a while, there’s so much going on it would be hard to add a new chicken coop into the mix. However, I’m going to run it by them, and see what I can do. After all, I am going to have to build/buy a coop for the ducks, so why not a chicken coop while I’m at it.

They didn’t originally support the idea because they are still sort of convinced our current coop is suitable for the number I have and more. Perhaps now that my mom is more educated on the matter, she will feel more comfortable in getting a larger coop. There’s a lot going on at home though, and if it isn’t possible, I’ll continue to manage my coop as best I can, deep cleaning it once a week to prevent ammonia build up and spot cleaning as often as I can.

Just my experience but I'd go as big as you can and then consider numbers after. We got the chickens BEFORE the coop/run was built and then based the sizing off those starter chicks. Big mistake.

I am now out there multiple times a day bringing boredom busters and giving lots of attention to them hoping to prevent any issues arising from this confinement until snow melts.

To summarize, I would advise to build as much/large as you can and then decide on a number😁

Just my experience but I'd go as big as you can and then consider numbers after. We got the chickens BEFORE the coop/run was built and then based the sizing off those starter chicks. Big mistake.

I am now out there multiple times a day bringing boredom busters and giving lots of attention to them hoping to prevent any issues arising from this confinement until snow melts.

To summarize, I would advise to build as much/large as you can and then decide on a number😁
Happened to me too, unfortunately :(

I will build as big as I can as long as I don’t cross any price boundaries, and I will see what I can come up with. Chances are I’ll be adding to the duck flock once it is established, since I’ve done that every single time I’ve kept new birds. So of course, I’ll take into consideration that bigger is better!

Happened to me too, unfortunately :(

I will build as big as I can as long as I don’t cross any price boundaries, and I will see what I can come up with. Chances are I’ll be adding to the duck flock once it is established, since I’ve done that every single time I’ve kept new birds. So of course, I’ll take into consideration that bigger is better!

A tip from me regarding duck pen size and numbers if I may.

Mine have a bit over 30 square foot per duck and are not a big breed of duck. They still manage to keep 60% of the run a wet soggy mess. Even with the pool being in a deck that is sloped so splashing runs out of the run.

They are astounding in that ability.

Go as big as you can but don't overload yourself with ducks. Start with a few and go from there.

I agree, it’s best to keep it at a low number rather than max it out
I agree cause when they're stuck inside like they have been in this cold they're better behaved with some extra room in coop. I agree with the suggestion to make it a raised coop which increases run space and provides protection from elements for them.

I'm wondering about so many dust baths? It does take up a lot of space . Also maybe keep your bins outside of coop. I love the roosts and signs on coop and you have done well with what you've done so far. You should be proud of yourself. .
When my girls take a bath (almost always just digging in dirt) they usually do in pairs or 3 together right next to each other.

Back
Top Bottom