Adding More Chicks to a Brood that is one week old

jamesinolympia

Hatching
May 10, 2015
I received baby chicks on Wednesday 6 May 2015. The chicks will be one week old on Monday. I am brooding them indoors using the Brinsea EcoGlow brooder. I will be receiving more chicks from the hatchery this Tuesday 12 May. Can I introduce the newly-hatched chicks to a brood that already exists with chicks that are a week older?

Any input is very much appreciated.

I don't think there is a rule written in stone. It likely depends on breed, size difference and temperament.

I would have a backup brooder ready, the newly shipped chicks will probably be dehydrated/tired/stressed and you don't want to try to introduce them to the older chicks until they are in "top form".

Is it possible to put up a barrier inside of the brooder to acclimate them separately? Not familiar with the brooder that you mentioned (is it the heat source that chicks can hide under?) so unsure if you could partition it and provide the proper climate. You could always use a heating pad to make a second warm hideaway for the new chicks.

Just my opinion, I have never done it but since the chicks are all within a week of each other it seems like it is worth a shot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom