Adding new chicks to existing flock

Scratchin' Around

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 2, 2008
New Sweden, Maine
I recently lost over 1/2 my flock to a fisher or mink. We're thinking about ordering new chicks, but space is limited for us. I'll have brooder space for them for maybe up to three weeks, but then I'm not sure what to do.

How soon can I introduce new chicks to my bigger guys? What's the best way to do so? I haven't had any noticeable trouble with bullying or pecking orders, but everything's been all shaken up, and I think all my roos are gone (still unsure on one of the Wyandottes). Anyone have any suggestions on birds that have worked well for them in the extreme cold? I was really pleased with my barred rocks, and my black giants, but I'm open to suggestions, if I'm ordering new.

For us, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and New Hampshire Reds have all been great over the winters. I personally have enjoyed the Barred Rocks and Black Australorps the best - they lay very well all year round and are very sweet tempered. I hope this helps!
smile.png

ETA: The way we introduced our new chicks to the older ones is we divided the coop in half with chicken wire (on the inside) and the chicks got the half with the trap door. The older hens we let free range outside the yard. After about a week, we took the wire down and they all enjoyed their life together all over our lawn.
smile.png
And we put the chicks out when they were about 1 month old.

Last edited:
I have all rir and 1 dominique.

I just recently bought some australorp chicks from the flea market and they seemed real strong and healthy. So I decided to put them in the coop with my 5-6 month old flock. Well at first they seemed to pick on them for a little too long so I put the chicks in a separate cage inside of the coop. Well that worked for a day or two, then the little buggers squeezed throught the wire and I have noticed now that the old birds dont even give the new chicks a second thought! They ignore them now and everyone is happy! I think that they have gotten used to them.

Back
Top Bottom