Adding new pullets

urbanhomesteader_shiona

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
So I currently have a flock of 6 chickens (5 pullets, 1 roo) that are 15 weeks old. I’d like to add two more pullets to the mix but I’m wondering if the flock integration is going to be more of a hassle than it’s worth? I feel like I’ve heard horror stories of chickens getting so beat up when integrating into a new flock and I’d hate to see chickens injured. Does the age of the other pullets matter? Would it be best to wait until we butcher the rooster and introduce them then or will the presence of a roo help the integration? How old should the other pullets be? Or is it all just a gamble that I shouldn’t take? Thanks in advance!

So I currently have a flock of 6 chickens (5 pullets, 1 roo) that are 15 weeks old. I’d like to add two more pullets to the mix but I’m wondering if the flock integration is going to be more of a hassle than it’s worth?
Could be.

I feel like I’ve heard horror stories of chickens getting so beat up when integrating into a new flock and I’d hate to see chickens injured. Does the age of the other pullets matter?
It can be a nightmare.
Age doesn't really matter, tho IME it's much easier to integrate tiny chicks.

Would it be best to wait until we butcher the rooster and introduce them then or will the presence of a roo help the integration? How old should the other pullets be? Or is it all just a gamble that I shouldn’t take? Thanks in advance!
I doubt the absence of the male will make much difference.
Gamble...may be...why do you want to add 2 more birds?
Have you thought about bio-security?
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Bringing in older birds an also bring in disease and pests.

Is this your first flock?
What are you long term goals...eggs, meat, pets???
How much coop/run space do you have?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1660129471658.png

The age yours are at you can integrate, set up "look but no touch " for a couple of weeks, they will still be at the bottom of the pecking order, but will slowly integrate. It will be better when they're laying as well.

Don't cull the rooster, in my experience the rooster has mellowed my hens. If you remove him it will upset the hierarchy.

Last edited:
The age yours are at you can integrate, set up "look but no touch " for a couple of weeks, they will still be at the bottom of the pecking order, but will slowly integrate. It will be better when they're laying as well.

Don't cull the rooster, in my experience the rooster has mellowed my hens. If you remove him it will upset the hierarchy.
Thanks! Unfortunately I’ve got to butcher the rooster, I live in a city and he crows nonstop for hours starting at 4:30am. Can’t do that to the neighbors.

Last edited:
Could be.

It can be a nightmare.
Age doesn't really matter, tho IME it's much easier to integrate tiny chicks.

I doubt the absence of the male will make much difference.
Gamble...may be...why do you want to add 2 more birds?
Have you thought about bio-security?
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Bringing in older birds an also bring in disease and pests.

Is this your first flock?
What are you long term goals...eggs, meat, pets???
How much coop/run space do you have?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3217864
Hi, thanks for responding! I’m in a fairly warm but full seasons climate, hesitant to post location as chickens are not yet legal here.

This is my first flock. The desire to add two more chickens is for additional eggs. Also I’d like to learn how to grow a flock, as having chickens is something I’d like to do for many years to come and I feel it is a necessary skill if wanting a constant supply of eggs. However, I think you may have a point re: bringing in pests so perhaps I will wait until next spring and hope for a broody hen to slip some fertilized eggs under. I had initially thought that bringing in a hen that is a bit older than my existing pullets would help out her at a higher position in the pecking order.

Hi, thanks for responding! I’m in a fairly warm but full seasons climate, hesitant to post location as chickens are not yet legal here.
Just putting your state,
with a general south/north/etc(like mine SW Michigan),
would do the trick and keep you 'safe'.

This is my first flock. The desire to add two more chickens is for additional eggs. Also I’d like to learn how to grow a flock, as having chickens is something I’d like to do for many years to come and I feel it is a necessary skill if wanting a constant supply of eggs. However, I think you may have a point re: bringing in pests so perhaps I will wait until next spring and hope for a broody hen to slip some fertilized eggs under. I had initially thought that bringing in a hen that is a bit older than my existing pullets would help out her at a higher position in the pecking order.
"Constant" can be hard, even if you get new chicks every year.
Timing can be tough with getting the new birds to lay just as the older birds go into a molt. There will always be feast and famine times.

I'd suggest you plan on chicks next spring,
Hoping for a broody at just the right time can be futile.
meanwhile find a way to split your coop and run for the easiest integration:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

I’d like to add two more pullets to the mix but I’m wondering if the flock integration is going to be more of a hassle than it’s worth? I feel like I’ve heard horror stories of chickens getting so beat up when integrating into a new flock and I’d hate to see chickens injured.
Many of us integrate all the time. It can be rough but a lot of the time it is not that hard. Sometimes it is absolutely easy. There are techniques that can improve your odds of success, so we can help with that. But something very important, what do you have to work with? How big, in feet or meters, are your various coops? How big, in feet or meters, are your various runs? What do they look like, a tiny elevated coop or ground level walk-in coop, for example? How are the coops and runs all tied together? Photos to show what the inside of the coop(s) looks like and outside to show how they tie together can help immensely.

I don't know how much hassle it would be or if I would even recommend it with your current set-up. I'd have to know something about your current set-up before I could answer that.

Does the age of the other pullets matter?
To me the ages of both groups matter. Not so much as to whether or not you can do it but as to what techniques you might use.

Look at Aart's profile and mine. Do you think either of us can be traced down from that location description? Knowing what weather to expect when you do this might or might not be important.

Would it be best to wait until we butcher the rooster and introduce them then or will the presence of a roo help the integration?
You don't have a rooster, you have an immature cockerel and it sounds like you need to get rid of him soon. I like having a mature confident flock master rooster when I integrate, especially with young chicks. You don't have that and I don't know what age you plan for the new ones to be when you try this.. An immature cockerel is a great unknown, you don't know how they will act. Mature roosters can be a little uncertain but not nearly so much as an immature cockerel. Butcher him when you need to butcher him and get him out of the equation.

Or is it all just a gamble that I shouldn’t take?
I don't have a clue. We are all unique with our goals, management practices, set-ups, and conditions. Knowing nothing about your conditions I'd suggest waiting until next year. It won't be any harder with mature hens than your immature pullets. Might even be easier, depends on the personalities of the individuals as much as anything. Gain the experience of getting your chickens through the winter and see what's involved with that. See if your joy with all things chicken lasts through the winter of cleaning poop and taking care of them every day. Identify issues and solve them.

Many of us integrate all the time. It can be rough but a lot of the time it is not that hard. Sometimes it is absolutely easy. There are techniques that can improve your odds of success, so we can help with that. But something very important, what do you have to work with? How big, in feet or meters, are your various coops? How big, in feet or meters, are your various runs? What do they look like, a tiny elevated coop or ground level walk-in coop, for example? How are the coops and runs all tied together? Photos to show what the inside of the coop(s) looks like and outside to show how they tie together can help immensely.

I don't know how much hassle it would be or if I would even recommend it with your current set-up. I'd have to know something about your current set-up before I could answer that.

To me the ages of both groups matter. Not so much as to whether or not you can do it but as to what techniques you might use.

Look at Aart's profile and mine. Do you think either of us can be traced down from that location description? Knowing what weather to expect when you do this might or might not be important.

You don't have a rooster, you have an immature cockerel and it sounds like you need to get rid of him soon. I like having a mature confident flock master rooster when I integrate, especially with young chicks. You don't have that and I don't know what age you plan for the new ones to be when you try this.. An immature cockerel is a great unknown, you don't know how they will act. Mature roosters can be a little uncertain but not nearly so much as an immature cockerel. Butcher him when you need to butcher him and get him out of the equation.

I don't have a clue. We are all unique with our goals, management practices, set-ups, and conditions. Knowing nothing about your conditions I'd suggest waiting until next year. It won't be any harder with mature hens than your immature pullets. Might even be easier, depends on the personalities of the individuals as much as anything. Gain the experience of getting your chickens through the winter and see what's involved with that. See if your joy with all things chicken lasts through the winter of cleaning poop and taking care of them every day. Identify issues and solve them.
Thank you so much! This was all very helpful, I think I’ll definitely wait until next year if I do choose to add to the flock

So I currently have a flock of 6 chickens (5 pullets, 1 roo) that are 15 weeks old. I’d like to add two more pullets to the mix but I’m wondering if the flock integration is going to be more of a hassle than it’s worth? I feel like I’ve heard horror stories of chickens getting so beat up when integrating into a new flock and I’d hate to see chickens injured. Does the age of the other pullets matter? Would it be best to wait until we butcher the rooster and introduce them then or will the presence of a roo help the integration? How old should the other pullets be? Or is it all just a gamble that I shouldn’t take? Thanks in advance!
Great question, thanks for asking it!

Back
Top Bottom