Adding Silkies...yes or no?

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
Stick with me, I'm writing a book here.šŸ˜‰

I have a mixed, standard flock of 36. Some of the boys, depending on their personalites, may have to go when they mature. I have one 2 1/2 yr. old rooster, 18 hens from 1 to 5 yrs., 5 pullets around 6 mo., 1 cockrel around 3 mo., 5 chicks (one cockrel and 3 females for sure and one undetermined) about 10 to 11 wks, 6 chicks at 3 weeks of age.
My flock consists of langshan, orpington, cuckoo marans, wyandottes, one RIR, one Sussex, brahmas, easter eggers, olive eggers, and just plain backyard mixes from the above breeds. (More than half the flock was hatched and raised here by broodies. ) The flock as a whole, is pretty good natured and generally get along well. They don't even harrass the doves or squirrel that hang around in their pastures. I've never had any integration issues.
Occasionally I have a couple of hens that have a spat but I've never had any injuries. My rooster (who is BIG) is in a seperate coop and run with 11 hens and though they all mix during the day, he and his hens have a seperate pasture as well. He is a sweet pet but doesn't care for other roosters. He will occasionally chase the cockrels. He is slow and lazy though, so he cannot catch them or just doesn't bother to do so.
I have ample room to add more chickens. They have secure runs but I do give them access to an uncovered pasture during the day. They have plenty of bushes and ground cover, as well as space under a travel trailer and deck but we do see hawks in the fall and spring.
Our summers are very humid and in the 90s, we have a few days over 100f every summer. Our winters are mild with just a few light freezes. We often have rainy days in the late springs and fall.

I have placed an order with Ideal for 10 assorted pullets and will be picking them up next month. I've decided to add 2 naked necks to my order because their unusual good(?) looks have grown on me. (Thanks a lot @igorsMistress šŸ˜)

Suddenly, I crave a couple of (3 or maybe 4) silkies. I don't care if I get a male or two. I would like a female though, for brooding. I'm not too concerned with quality (they are hatchery birds after all).
I'm not even sure why I want them. They are just conversation pieces for the yard, right? šŸ˜‰
FINALLY, my question:
Is this a bad idea? I know others mix them with standard chickens but not too many follow up on their posts. If it is a bad idea, I'll give it up or I'll wait until spring, buy eggs and let my head hen raise them. My biggest concern is the rooster and cockrels. I don't think my hens will care about them one way or another.
Any opinions?

I am super super new at this but my daughter begged for a silkie as a pet, so we got one. I donā€™t recommend just one. Right now sheā€™s hanging with our babies and is fine, but anytime any of my bigger hens come near, she panics. So I need to get her a buddy or two, and keep the run cluttered. As soon as the meaties and the new layers outgrow her I think itā€™ll be trouble unless she has her own posse.

@Teneniel I appreciate your situation. I hope you can find another silkie or other bantam girl for her to hang with.
I'm not going to even consider just adding one for that very reason. Since they are straight run, I might have only one female. If I had to rehome the males I'd let her go with one of them rather than keeping a single bantam with my standards.

I added 2 Silkies to my flock of standard size birds. They do fine. They are not the bottom of the pecking order, either.

Full disclosure: I integrated them with a Sebright cockerel. He is my only fella. But he is very bonded to my Silkies because of it, so that may be why my big girls don't mess with them.

But I love them! Silkies are hilarious! And they are nearly always broody. I plan to give them chicks to adopt later in the year.

Yay for naked necks :yesss:

From what I understand the biggest concern is that sometimes Silkies can't see predators or danger coming and such because of all the feathers that block their vision. I'm pretty sure I remember someone using rubber bands to put them in a top knot so they can see.

I know plenty of people that have bantams and standards together in one flock so to me that shouldn't be an issue. I also know someone who has them and they're almost always broody so they don't spend much time free ranging anyway and she keeps them separated.

I added 2 Silkies to my flock of standard size birds. They do fine. They are not the bottom of the pecking order, either.

But I love them! Silkies are hilarious! And they are nearly always broody. I plan to give them chicks to adopt later in the year.
I think the grandchildren would love them. I'd like to get them each one but we have so many grands!
I have a plethora of broodies now but I'd be excited to have one who didn't care about the seasons.

I've got two bantams with my mixed flock. They do fine. I just don't find them super friendly or broody like they should be. So, I won't be adding more silkies lol. But it seems others enjoy them. Not me x)

Yay for naked necks :yesss:

From what I understand the biggest concern is that sometimes Silkies can't see predators or danger coming and such because of all the feathers that block their vision. I'm pretty sure I remember someone using rubber bands to put them in a top knot so they can see.

I know plenty of people that have bantams and standards together in one flock so to me that shouldn't be an issue. I also know someone who has them and they're almost always broody so they don't spend much time free ranging anyway and she keeps them separated.
I'm pretty sure that my granddaughter would love to give them a "do". Lol.

@Teneniel I appreciate your situation. I hope you can find another silkie or other bantam girl for her to hang with.
I'm not going to even consider just adding one for that very reason. Since they are straight run, I might have only one female. If I had to rehome the males I'd let her go with one of them rather than keeping a single bantam with my standards.

oh my gosh I thought this was an incidental post in one of the off topic threads I was in šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

I wouldnā€™t have replied with my non info if Iā€™d been paying attention to where it was! Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom