adding smaller birds to flock

One of them was on top of the water container last night so I picked her up and put her on the perch but they were all on there when I went out to check on them this morning! I'm so relieved they are able to stay in the coop with the big girls now that the weather is getting colder here!

Great to hear some success stories. Just wanted to let you all know that I built an enclosure in the run area and have had them there for a few days. Have scheduled full integration this coming friday. Will let you know how it goes.

Roger

I have four 8 week olds to add to my flock of 9 hens and 2 roosters who are 17 weeks to 6mn old. I'm done after that. Added the 17 wk old by herself and she's still adjusting but better than last week. She's roosting on the lowest roost in the coop.still feels more comfortable with my younger chicks when free ranging.

I live in Bountiful Utah which is just about 10 miles north of Salt Lake City! My babies are roosting with my RIR every night now. The silkie and the cochin sleep in one of the next boxes together. Where are you located?

I live in Bountiful Utah which is just about 10 miles north of Salt Lake City! My babies are roosting with my RIR every night now. The silkie and the cochin sleep in one of the next boxes together. Where are you located?
That's great! Glad to hear chicks are snuggled together and roosting! I live on cape cod in Massachusetts! So your winters gets frosty frosty!

The chicks were roosting in the dog cage I had them in but when I put them in the coop the first few nights they huddled together on the floor in the back corner. We definitely get our share of snow here. It's not usually bitter cold in the winter but we had freezing rain one time this past winter. I've lived here my whole life and that was the only time I remember having freezing rain. I fell down in my driveway and broke my arm while taking my garbage out in January. I had to have two plates put in my arm. I had a job lined up with TSA in Kauai until I broke my arm. I never imagined I would still be here and that I would have chickens! LOL! It's been a lot of fun so far! Doesn't it get pretty cold in Cape Cod? I'm wondering how the chickens will do in the winter here. I don't plan on heating the coop!

Roger I had my chicks in the chicken enclosure with the hens for about 2 weeks before I put them together. The chicks were in a dog cage so they could all see each other. I would let them out for a little while with the hens at night. It took two nights of having to catch the chicks and putting them in the coop before they went in on their own. All my hens and chicks put themselves to bed at night now. It's such a relief that the hens tolerate the chicks now! Good luck with yours!

I put my four 10wk old chicks in the enclosed run today with the older ones. They have room to run away. The older ones pick at them but are too busy checking out the run.one area is enclosed 8×8 while the other side is 12×12 run, the 8×8 coop is in the middle with a big door on each side and a chicken door on the 8×8 side.

Cool! I put my chicks in with the big girls when they were 10 weeks old. The hens only chase them if they go near the food the hens are eating. I had to catch the chicks for two nights to put them in the coop with the hens but by the 3rd night they were putting themselves to bed with the hens. They huddled in the back corner for several days and then they started roosting last week! I'm glad I got them in there when I did because I'm afraid the warm weather here is gone for the rest of the year!

Back
Top Bottom