Adding some kind of color to water

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ravynwood, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Would it be bad to add some kind of food coloring or something to tint the water, after a day of running my LG I cannot see where the water line is in the bottom.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It will stain the foam an then you will be in the same shape again. Float a airsoft bb or some other rubber ball in it.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Exactly what I've was thinking, it will just stain the bator. Just keep an eye on your humidity, when it gets to around 30% or so it's time to add more water [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What about using a hygrometer to check the relative humidity? That way the water level won't matter.

I like to run a small piece of airline tubing, like that used for fish tanks, through an opening. Then I can add water when the humidity drops, using a needleless syringe and the tube.

5. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    I have a hygrometer. The lowest I have seen on it is about 48%, the room humidity is like 41%

The highest I can get my humidity is 58% that is with all the trays in the bottom full of water and sponges. two rails taken out of the turner and a tray of water with a sponge put in it.

Getting it above 58% seems impossible at this moment.

Ravyn

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I SUSPECT that IF you have good air-flow (ventilation), your hatch will be OK with this humidity. [​IMG]

Have you checked to see that your hygrometer is ACCURATE? [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    remember, to create humidity, it is not the depth of the water, it is the amount of surface area covered with water, so even just a very little bit in the bottom will work just fine as long as it covers enough surface area.

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I did with my Brinsea. I did use food grade. and just one lil drop so I could see the level. It didnt end up staining mine but it might if yours is foam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by