adding supplemental light at end of day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spiritpots, Sep 18, 2019.

1. spiritpots

spiritpots Songster

Quick question... With the days getting shorter I'm considering adding supplemental light to my coop to help with egg laying and am wondering if it's ok to add it to the end of the day rather than the beginning. I have a heavy duty exterior timer that goes on at dusk and can stay on 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. Any thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!

Parront likes this.
  2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It is recommended that supplemental light be added at the start of the day. The reason for not adding it at the end of the day, is that it is preferred that the poultry get the slowly decreasing natural light at the end of the day so they prepare for the night (roost) normally rather than suddenly being given darkness unexpectedly when the supplemental lights turn off.

3. Banditschickens

Banditschickens Songster

Feb 13, 2019
    Dalton , Ga.
    Morning time is best due to the way daylight fades give the birds plenty of time to settle on the roost safely. The timed light just shuts down without a dimming period so they would be all over the place not on their roosts.

spiritpots and chrissynemetz like this.
  4. Parront

Parront Free Ranging

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    What the previous poster said is true, your birds need to have warning that it is getting dark. I do this for my parrot, by having one light on a timer go off 15 min before the other light. I have an African Grey, the one in my Avatar. I add light in the evening and keep her asleep longer in the mornings. I black out her cage in a closet to have enough dark time for her to not lay eggs. You have the same need, controlled lighting to control laying. You want to have at least 14 hours of light to keep them laying, but you also want them to not experience decreasing light. So, you might want to have light in the mornings as well.

spiritpots and R2elk like this.
  5. spiritpots

spiritpots Songster

This all makes perfect sense. Thank you!

R2elk and Parront like this.
  6. Banditschickens

Banditschickens Songster

Feb 13, 2019
    Dalton , Ga.
    Your Welcome.
    We are all glad to help if we can.

spiritpots, R2elk and Parront like this.
  7. Parront

Parront Free Ranging

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    x's 2

spiritpots and R2elk like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: