Adding three to a flock of two and chicken discrimination?

Charlene

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
I have two adult hens now. They are free range.

I'd like to add three more. I'd buy them as chicks. Is it okay if they out number the originals? Also, does the breed matter? My two are BR's, will they discriminate against other breeds?

Breed should not matter so long as they are standard breeds liked the ones you have now. If you mixed bantams with standard size breeds they could get beat up on a little. You will need to let the new chicks reach 3 to 4 months old before putting them with the older hens so they are big enough to hold their place in the pecking order and not get hurt. the number of additions should not matter so long as you have enough space to accomidate them. Birds of a feather seem to flock together but they will become a larger flock that stays together over time.

We added 4 new hens to our flock of 2 (plus one duck) last summer and didn't have any problems;) The older hens chased the younger ones around a little but they all figured it out eventually. Now they all snug up on one roost on cold nights.
roll.png

I have 30 hens, and 2 roos, all different colors, the hens are several different sizes, they all do just fine together.

I have a trio of hens, "The Three Banditas", Thelma, Louise, and Alice, who are partners in crime. Thelma's a buff Orpington, Louise is a black Australorp, and Alice is a smallish grey and white penciled mixed breed, not much bigger than a bantam. Those three hang out together all the time, they sneak in the house together to steal dog food, if the kitchen door's open. Alice is always up on the highest roost at night, some of the larger hens are at the bottom.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom