adding to and established flock

chickenchalupa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I was wondering how to add a new chicken to an established flock without anyone getting hurt.
hmm.png

We put a partition in our coop to keep the younger ones safe from the older gals. We made it out of chicken wire so they could get right next to each other and see each other. They all co-habitate now but they still get picked on pretty bad.

The younger ones are just smart enough to stay away from the older ones now by getting up on the roosts or on top of the nest boxes. We put the older ones in a runout pen during the day so the young ones can eat and have the whole coop to themselves. We also have a waterer and feeder on top of the nest boxes so they can eat and drink when the old gals are in there with them. We're in the process of putting another runout pen up for the young ones. I don't think they'll ever get along very well because one of the young ones totally freaks out if an older pullet just looks at her, and runs screaming every time. That causes a huge hassle and gets everyone stirred up!
he.gif
Funny thing is...the screamer is the meanest one I have!

Good article, and good advice JennsPeeps!...but very sad. I just wanted to say that I kept my younger chicks away from my older chicks for over 5 weeks before they went in with the older ones.

Back
Top Bottom