adding to my flock

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
hello, I currently have 7 red sex link hens, and I am considering adding to my flock, I think I would like to have a rooster this time around, I have to buy 7 chicks for shipping, ( My Pet Chicken )
do you think one rooster will be ok or should I have two? or if I have two are they going to fight each other ? I mainly want the rooster for flock protection. my next question is I want a docile and cold hardy rooster, what are some good ones to choose from? I was considering a
( Black Copper Marans Rooster ) , or a ( red sex link rooster ) or a ( Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster)
I know I have to build a larger coop now to house 14 chickens, next question, do I feed and house the rooster the same layer feed I give the hens and do they stay in the same coop with the hens?
I never had a rooster and the hens I have now are my first flock. so it is still a learning game to me.
thank you
Jack

I'd only get one.
Nice having a rooster around, love the crowing, and they really take care of the ladies.
I like my jersey giant rooster, big calm docile, and defends his girls, drove off a fox once.
Any rooster will do though.

I agree with the other responders. Just order one cockerel. Chances are there will be a mistake in sexing, and you'll end up with a second cockerel, anyway.

Roosters should not be fed layer feed. When you have a mixed flock, one with roosters and hens and sometimes chicks, you will want to switch to an all flock feed or grower formula with oyster shell free choice so the hens continue to get the calcium they require.

I began feeding Purina Flock Raiser for this reason eight or nine years ago, and I never went back to feeding layer feed. The hens still lay plenty of eggs regardless.

I'll agree with everyone else and add another reason. If you get two (if they're different breeds) and you want to hatch some eggs, you won't know what you're getting (assuming you don't keep them separate) and you may not get what you were after.

thank you for all the good info. I am going to do some reading on roosters so I know what I will be getting into. roosters will be new to me. I really don't want to have one chase me or anyone for that matter around the barn yard.

Salmon Favorelle cockerels are very likely to be very nice boys, take a look at them. If you plan to raise chicks, consider having a cockerel that compliments the breeds you plan to have. Not a sex-link, which is a hybrid. Any breed cockbird might turn out to be polite with humans, or not. It's genetics, and management.
Also, feeding everyone an all-flock feed with oyster shell on the side is what should happen.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom