Adding to the colony

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
Picked up 4 more cots today. 3 english whites(one looks to have gold markings) and another rosetta pied. I'm hoping they're all hens, they had already molted and are not laying so no one was foaming.
fl.gif
They're a week older than my original 6.

Last edited:
Very pretty, they look just like mine
smile.png
don't worry about them being scared, mine were terrified at first but within 3 days I could reach in and pick them up

Yeah, don't worry about them being scared, because they need to acclimate to the new feed monster. They will adapt!

They are lovely looking birds, but are wild pattern whites, not Range/English whites. At least the one that I saw the 2 color spot on it's head.

The markings on the other two whites look like they are darker so maybe tib or rosetta. His breeding stock was italian, english white, and rosetta(or tib. was too dark to really see her) pied hens with a pharaoh roo.

You can never really tell if it's a Wild pattern white, or an English(Range pattern) white until you cross it with a double brown wild pattern bird. (or get stock from someone that knows the difference between a wild and range pattern bird)
The brown wild pattern will trump a white wild pattern and the range pattern will trump all wild patterns. Most of the birds people call "Italians" are just very light colored (GOLDEN) birds from the wild pattern. True "Italian" are very light range pattern birds.

Attempting to breed either of the golden lines, wild or range pattern will result in a number of "throw away" birds. Birds that are not of the desired color, usually just plain brown (wild pattern or range pattern) , or just plain white. There is also a "Lethal" component to this mix.

Luck was not on my side with these birds, at least one is a roo, a very mean roo. The rosetta pied may also be a roo, it doesn't get along with any of my birds, or the white roo that came from the same colony.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom