adding to the flock - what breed would YOU recommend??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Nov 2, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I haven't told my DH yet (shhhh he'll kill me!) but I am thinking of adding a couple of new hens to the flock... I love my girls but 11 out of the 16 are mixed breed and I'd really love a few striking purebreds. I already have 5 silkies so no more of those.

I found a breeder within driving distance (about 60 miles one-way) who has over 40 breeds so I'm pretty sure to find what I want there...

Question is: what do I want??

-needs to be comfortable in COLD temperatures, winters here are 5 months long and quite miserable
    -i want hens that are sweet, docile, sociable and smart as they need to integrate into my existing flock
    -hardy, healthy and long-lived
    -of course good egg layers, the silkies with their teeny tiny eggs are a joke LOL!
    -the funkier the egg color the better

So... what do I want??

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You want Easter Eggers or Orpingtons.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Barred Rocks are excellent chickens and they should make an excellent breed for you.

I have never had any experience with adult birds of these breeds, but Wyandottes and Brahmas are also supposed to be great for cold climates.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love my Ameraucana and they lay really beautiful eggs and are cold hardy because of their peacombs. I also really like my Wellsummers and Marans but I am not sure they are as cold hardy as you would like though mine have never gotten frostbite in my climate.

Good Luck have fun!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wellies can do well in cold weathers!

I would say both Welsummers and Amercuanas (or Easter Eggers if you get them from the hatchery) can be good for you!

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

OK, you NEEEEEEED Dominique's. VERY friendly and personable, lays a decent sized egg, Rose comb so that lessens frostbite chances, they are pretty good sized and they are very quiet.

7. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Sussex!!!! You have got to have Sussex! They are the most friendly chicken I have ever encountered! They practically never fight. They are indeed good layers. They are also striking! Sussex!!!! Sussex!!!!! Sussex!!!!!

8. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    How about a RIR(banty and standard)
    or a brahma, or cochin?
    \\[​IMG]

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    To be honest I agree with ewesheep the Wellsummers are actually my favorite birds I only have two hens but they lay the most eggs and the most interesting looking eggs. I also love my Ameraucana and Marans to though [​IMG]

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Langshans...of course! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by