Adequate apron?

trumpeting_angel

Free Ranging
Feb 6, 2019
Vermont
Hi! Our new run has an apron of HW cloth extended from the sides, laid on shallowly excavated ground about 12”. On top, but extending past the edge of the HW cloth, are 7” x 10” pavers.

On top of all that, soil (a few inches at most) and somewhat haphazard sod.

All that worries me is the 12” instead of 18 or more, but we tried to remedy that with the pavers.

Whatcha think, chickenfolk?

I could have done better with a photo, but this is the basic idea.

Thanks for your comments!

@aart and @rosemarythyme, if the pavers are essentially hidden under sod, do you still have the same opinion?

Would adding more HW cloth to make the apron wider be useful? It wouldn’t be attached to the coop, but could certainly overlap what’s there, under the dirt and sod.
226FE5B7-CBF1-46D1-81B7-A24B4CFF3028.jpeg

The “landscaping” for the run (apron, etc.) is incomplete. I should note that the apron and pavers are not visible in the photo, as dirt and some sod have been laid over them. Modifications await this discussion.

Would adding more HW cloth to make the apron wider be useful? It wouldn’t be attached to the coop, but could certainly overlap what’s there, under the dirt and sod.

I'd personally remove the pavers and add another foot or so of HWC (the end result will be more than 18" out but that's fine). I'd overlap the mesh by a few inches. Landscape staple over the overlap (or if you're super hardcore, hog ring it or weave wire to further hold it together) and that should be sufficient to form a fairly continuous apron.

if the pavers are essentially hidden under sod, do you still have the same opinion?
Hmmmm....how deep?
Did you take any pics while you were installing it?
That might work fine, different than if they were on the surface.

Adding more HC would be good, not sure if better(and a lot of work at this point), if it's well attached to the first.

It's not very deep yet, so it wouldn't be hard to add more HW cloth. We have to bring in some more dirt (about 2" deep) and widen a couple of gardens to create more sod! Assuming the chooks don't destroy it from inside (I can't put it past them), this should grow. We've done it in another section of the yard on top of hardpan left after construction.

Thanks, @aart!

Back
Top Bottom