Adhesive applied to linoleum flooring

dianer29

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
We are almost ready to lay the flooring in the coop. My husband put a piece of plywood down as a base for flooring. We purhased the piece of linoleum/vinyl flooring along with a piece of material that you put down for high humidity control. This would go over the plywood. He did not realise that due to the material being tough he would not be able to staple the linoleum to it as planned. I have heard concerns of the only other alternative that we can think of , using an adhesive instead. I do not want the flock in a coop with those fumes first "bloom" or ongoing. Does anyone have an alternative that we may consider in place of this resolution?

You can let the linoleum "float" over the plywood. Use shoe base or something similar to hold it down around the walls...Also, there are adhesives now that are fume free and "green". Maybe look into something like that. Good luck!

I do not want the flock in a coop with those fumes first "bloom" or ongoing. Does anyone have an alternative that we may consider in place of this resolution?

We used the adhesive, but only around the edges and a big X from corner to corner. I didn't put the chickens in for a week and left the window open. I couldn't smell it after a few hours of application, but wanted to be safe. We also used caulking around the edges to make it water tight so I could use the pressure washer for a good yearly cleaning.​

I've stapled vinyl flooring down with no problem -- but you may have a heavier grade than I do, or something.

If you can't staple and don't want to glue (I don't like glue either, though for different reasons), your perfectly-good alternative is to get some wood or metal battens -- either strips of flattish trim (real wood, not that primed mdf cr*p) or the metal strips they use to cover the edges of vinyl flooring. You need enough to go around all the edges of the flooring i.e. all the edges of the coop. Screw through the batten and vinyl into the coop floor, starting at one edge then pulling the flooring sheet tight as you proceed. Screwed through a batten this way, it's not going anywhere. I also do this where I have to have a seam joining 2 pieces of flooring in the middle of a pen (it creates an annoying obstacle to total-cleaning of bedding, but oh well)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom