Adios Raccoon!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mestaske, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mestaske

mestaske Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    Well the story starts last spring when I ordered 8 ducks and two geese from mcmurray hatchery.
    Well this past fall my ducks started getting eaten by something. We thought it was a coyote or an owl or the neighbors dog. All of my ducks were eaten, one of my geese was eaten and two of my chickens for a total tally. It wasn't until the other night when i had my chickens locked up in the coop and one got taken that we realized it couldn't be a coyote or the other animals. There were feathers stuck in a railroad tie up to the top showing that it had been dragged up. It went in the chicken door inside of the chicken run. Poor Little Mama. Well we bought a live trap and at 2 AM yesterday I heard the dogs barking and I thought I heard my chickens screaming. I ran outside and looked in the coop, all seemed ok. So I figured I better check the trap. HA! A raccoon was in there. I had never seen a live raccoon before but we live in the country by a river and lots of irrigation ditches so i suppose not to much of a suprise. Well I went back inside and got my husband. He shot the FAT raccoon and we plan to make a pelt of it. I plan on keeping the trap set for awhile to make sure that there aren't any others. I will post a pic of the raccoon in the trap when I get my husbands camera.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done, and keep the trap set. There may very well be more.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

There is never just one [​IMG]

4. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I got rid of my raccoon's buy using those solar blinking red lights that come on at dusk. Once I started using
    the lights I never had another raccoon attack.

I bought several and placed them all over the chicken yard and outside the coop.

Did the trick.

Once I saw a raccoon in yard and he/she totally avoided the chicken area.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thought coons are color blind.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    they are, a lot of times when someone is using lights and such hunters and trappers are steady dispatching coons this time of the year anecdotal evidence is good enough for most folks LOLOLOL coon merely respond to biological triggers they have been exposed to no more no less

7. City Coop

City Coop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I lost two hens to a raccoon attack. How many lights did you use total and what brand did you go with? I saw a couple options on amazon. I want to make sure my new flock will not be bothered by these guys.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My live trap did the trick many times over. Me, I would rather get rid of the problem than keep it at bay. I hope the lights work for you!

9. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish the chickens would stay out of the trap! got any ideas?

the guineas won't go in, but the chickens don't seem to learn!

Roberth

10. City Coop

City Coop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think I have access to a trap here in San Francisco. Not sure if animal control would even pick it up here [​IMG]

I will have to investigate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by