Adolescent Cockerels - Good Grief!!!

skeeter9

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Foothills of Central CA
I was cleaning out my coops/runs yesterday,so I let all of my chickens out together. I have 3 teenage cockerels (4 mos), who are just beginning to "practice" their moves. One of them has been "practicing" more than the others. When he got out with some ladies he isn't normally out with, he kinda went crazy! He went running over to them and jumped on top of one of them from about 4 feet away, which, of course, knocked her over. Then he proceeded to flail around on her back while holding onto the side of her neck with his beak! She squawked at him, which brought her cockerel running from around the other side of the coop! He took off after the younger offender and chased him all over the place. After that they were getting along just fine. A little while later, Rusty's (the young cockerel) favorite girl decided to come out of her yard to free-range with everybody else. As soon as she jumped to the ground, Rusty puffed up and threw himself on top of her and grabbed the side of her neck, which twisted her head around to the side and really ticked her off. She extricated herself and gave him the very crusty look. He looked very embarassed, then ran off to find something to impress her with. He started pecking something on the ground and calling her over, so she obliges, and what does he have but a rock!!!! What a dork!!! Anyway, she gives him another "how dumb are you" look and he runs off again. This time he finds some tiny baby grass and starts picking it for her and calling her over. At least this time it was something worth calling her for!!! I wish I could have taken a video of his shenanigans!!! What a teenager!!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Lori

very funny. you have a good way of telling the story. and a lot more patience with roosters than me. they are lucky to have you.

That is hilarious!!!! I thought my banty, Pepe la rue, was bad. It sounds like he would fit in nicely with your crazy bunch:)

My little banty roo is just starting to treat his ladies - like a lady.He has been finding treats and calling his ladies over, i noticed that one of his girls had some oatmeal on her face and he very carefully cleaned her face while she sat there very still.
At night he goes in the coop and calls them when it is time for bed - I have not seen any mating behavior but since he is a banty with a bunch of bigger girls cant wait to see what happens LOL

Julie

I'd give him a cuddle, but I'm usually too busy laughing at him. He has been a clown since the day her was born!!!

Karri - sounds like we have similar taste in names - this guys name is Rusty La Roo!!!! I posted pics on Me, My Chickens, My Family a few days ago.

I just love cockerels/roos!!!

Lori

Back
Top Bottom