Cockerel.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
For the 2nd time the pullet low in pecking order got out of the run on me (shes fast), the cockerel is going crazy in the run on the other side of the fence, I catch her and bring her to the gate and he is all worked up that I got her and gotta kind kick him away. When I put her down he chases her and ends up pulling a beak full of feathers from her, a minute later he got her pinned to the ground, not like mating though. She is the only pullet that I have not seen him mate. The ? is is this normal for a 22 week old cockerel? He seemed mad at me for catching her/ holding and mad at her for getting out.

For the 2nd time the pullet low in pecking order got out of the run on me (shes fast), the cockerel is going crazy in the run on the other side of the fence, I catch her and bring her to the gate and he is all worked up that I got her and gotta kind kick him away. When I put her down he chases her and ends up pulling a beak full of feathers from her, a minute later he got her pinned to the ground, not like mating though. She is the only pullet that I have not seen him mate. The ? is is this normal for a 22 week old cockerel? He seemed mad at me for catching her/ holding and mad at her for getting out.
Sounds normal. Young cockerels always misbehave no matter how there kept or handled. If it's concerning keep him separated till his hormones calm down.

The tension between the cockerel and the low in pecking order pullet seems to be over. He has been mating her now and she must of caught on he was not trying to kill her. Which it now has calmed the tension she had with being anywhere near him down, now she will just need to deal with the top of the pecking order hens which seem pretty hard on her.

Back
Top Bottom