Adopted chickens from MSPCA

Dana, how great of you to go to Nevins Farm and adopt those girls. They are indeed very good looking chickens (even the drafty-tailed one, if you only count her front half). I mailed Nevins Farm a donation last month specifically to help care for those rescued chickens. It's nice to see who the recipients were!

Last edited:
Excellent!!!
She could be a Red Star or a Golden Comet or just a Barnyard Mix.
Thanks for adopting some of those girls.
love.gif

Cara: Which one do you think is an Easter Egger, and why? I'm pretty sure they're black sex-links, but I wouldn't mind an EE.

cristina33: Yes, that's where they're from. To adopt them, we just called ahead to see if they had time for us. And we had to bring proof that we owned a house, and pictures of where the chickens would be living.

Thank you all for your kind words.
smile.png

That is a great thing you have done to rescue those beautiful girls. I was looking at the petfinder site, I couldn't believe the chickens at different shelters, especially in CA. There wasn't any near me in AL. Thanks for sharing. Sandy

I was also thinking that the best way to start up a flock was to go to the local Houston SPCA. Their website has some hens listed, but I have yet to visit the center. Does anyone have a checklist on what to look for when choosing adult hens? I'm sure the SPCA would check for mites and other parasites and diseases. But if I was looking for layers, do you think the hens they have WOULD NOT lay for some reason? Prolapse, etc?

Still a newbie, but on a chicken run, so-to-speak, since I used to have a white leghorn when I was younger.

Back
Top Bottom