Adopted Chicks - can you help identify?

MinerQuad

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
So my sweet buff Orpington "Big Bonnie" went broody this summer and since my friend is the 4H Poultry Chair she "ran" the poultry barn at our county fair. She snagged me 5 eggs from pair cages and I stuck them under my sweet Bonnie. Two of the eggs were infertile and 3 were fertile. They hatched on Friday (8/26) but I have no clue what they are. They are darn cute though! The brown striped baby is a bantam and the little buff colored chick is a bantam. None of them have furry feet (Although I know 2 of the 5 eggs came from Brahma cages -- because I desperately want a pair of Buff Brahmas). I can't even tell you what color the eggs were because my husband disposed of the eggs before I knew who came from what. They are all purebred since they were laid at the fair by show pairs.

Here are the pics and THANKS for any help you can give.

56161_chicks_001.jpg

56161_chicks_002.jpg

56161_chicks_003.jpg

56161_chicks_004.jpg

56161_chicks_005.jpg

56161_chicks_007.jpg

56161_chicks_008.jpg

56161_chicks_009.jpg

I can't tell baby chicks at all, but just wanted to say they're not necessarily purebreds. That hen in the cage with the roo as a pair could have been with another rooster at home last week
wink.png

Awfully cute. I have no idea on breeds though.

I'm curious, did your friend have permission to take the eggs? From what I've heard, they usually promise to never hatch eggs laid at fairs, so I'm curious if it was different at that fair. I guess it can be a very big deal to professional breeders. I know you got them from 4h, so maybe it's different?

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I know I would be upset if fertile eggs were taken from my daughter's Naked Neck or Silkie pens after we'd spent quite a bit of money to get the birds and/or the hatching eggs for the birds. I know an awful lot of folks up here who would be upset. Whether or not we intended to hatch out the eggs, the fact of the matter is that any chicks hatched would be our breeding and we would never get the credit. Those may have been eggs that the owner would have collected and sold. There are a lot of possibilities but taking eggs for them to be hatched without the owners' permission is the same thing as stealing. I know at our fair, unless you specify that you don't want eggs collected from your pen, the eggs are collected, refrigerated immediately, and donated to the food bank to prevent any sort of appearance of something like this happening.

On another note, the third chick looks like it could be a colombian Wyandotte. The little dark bantie could be a D'Anver but I can't see the comb. Not clue on the other one just yet but like someone else said, there's no guarantee that they are purebreds since the hen may have been free ranging or cooped with a different roo prior to the fair.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I know I would be upset if fertile eggs were taken from my daughter's Naked Neck or Silkie pens after we'd spent quite a bit of money to get the birds and/or the hatching eggs for the birds. I know an awful lot of folks up here who would be upset. Whether or not we intended to hatch out the eggs, the fact of the matter is that any chicks hatched would be our breeding and we would never get the credit. Those may have been eggs that the owner would have collected and sold. There are a lot of possibilities but taking eggs for them to be hatched without the owners' permission is the same thing as stealing. I know at our fair, unless you specify that you don't want eggs collected from your pen, the eggs are collected, refrigerated immediately, and donated to the food bank to prevent any sort of appearance of something like this happening.

On another note, the third chick looks like it could be a colombian Wyandotte. The little dark bantie could be a D'Anver but I can't see the comb. Not clue on the other one just yet but like someone else said, there's no guarantee that they are purebreds since the hen may have been free ranging or cooped with a different roo prior to the fair.

X3

Your friend didn't recall the breeds she snagged the eggs from? At least that would help in figuring out what chick might be which breed.

I also find it a little dicey that she took eggs...sounds like without permission from the owners.
hmm.png

They are lovely chicks though...
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom