Adopted Homers... will they stay?

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but I do not think those birds are homers. They appear more to be rollers or roller crosses. The suggestions about a 'settling' cage are the way to go. Secure the bobs in the open position, place settling cage on landing platform (if it extends up to the loft roof even better) allow the birds to be comfortable out there. They will even learn to dive into the coop at the arrival of a hawk. Later you can place them in the cage with the bobs down so that they learn how to navigate the bobs. Hokum's advice in post # 2 is excellent. Good luck with your birds.

@Hokum Coco, take a look at those birds and see what you think. On a second look, they look almost like NY Flights to me. One even appears to have a crest.

I don't know any thing about NY Flights, but they don't quite look like any homers that we have/had/seen. That being said, they look more like my roller/homer crosses that I am now breeding. JMHO!!
Scott

they look almost like NY Flights to me. One even appears to have a crest.
That was a very astute observation and you could be bang on. That being said there are over 600 species of pigeons not counting any cross breeds. You and I together could not name them all little own identify them.

I would have to agree you made a good educated guess.

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile! This is a total newb question, but if they're not homers will they still fly back to their coop? I'm assuming all breeds of pigeons have some homing instinct.

That being said... One got away from me yesterday. I watched her circle above for a short time and then disappear. I've left the coop open for her to return with food on the loft, but it's been since 3pm yesterday and no luck. We had a hawk here a few days ago and I'm wondering if the hawk got her OR if she wasnt accostomed to her coop enough yet... It just concerns me because I don't want it to happen to another one

Also, will they breed on their own if we have males and females?

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile! This is a total newb question, but if they're not homers will they still fly back to their coop? I'm assuming all breeds of pigeons have some homing instinct.

I only have homers, but I am aware non-homing breeds, such as performance breeds like tumblers and high fliers, can be flown and trained to come back to the loft if released from the loft, not from far away like you'd do with homers on a toss.

That being said... One got away from me yesterday. I watched her circle above for a short time and then disappear. I've left the coop open for her to return with food on the loft, but it's been since 3pm yesterday and no luck. We had a hawk here a few days ago and I'm wondering if the hawk got her OR if she wasnt accostomed to her coop enough yet... It just concerns me because I don't want it to happen to another one

If it is a homer, it likely attempted to home back to its original loft. If that is the case, it might be found there eventually, or it could simply die trying to get there if it is too far away. If it is not a homer, and was not properly trained to learn how to get back to its loft, I'm not sure what the chances of it coming back are. The bird may not understand how to get back to its loft, and/or could have been hit by the hawk. Give it a few days, and make sure the loft is visible and the birds in your loft are also visible from a far.

Also, will they breed on their own if we have males and females?

Yes, given the proper resources (nest materials, nest bowls, calcium, etc) they should successfully. Even without the proper resources, the will likely still attempt to reproduce, just not with as high of odds of success. For example, they may try to build an inadequate nest using the best things they can find such as feathers and such, and make the nest on the floor, etc. They can still hatch squab this way though, but you'll want to give them the best shot they can get and provide nesting and breeding resources.

Back
Top Bottom