Adopting Polish who was picked on

Pumphrey

Songster
Sep 27, 2019
I am getting a 10 month old Polish Chicken. She was picked on pretty badly as a chick when my friend got her. She has tried to integrate her into her flock but she still gets picked on and is bald in the back of her head I am taking her tomorrow as a companion to my Favorelle who lost her 9mth old sister a few days ago. My 2 Barred Rocks picked on the Favorelles at first by chasing them away and gave them a peck but it was never bad. After a few weeks the got along fine though the Barred Rocks are bonded and the Favorelles were bonded and kind of did things like roosting separately. I know the Polish can be a skittish breed anyway and because of her history, I imagine she might be even more so Was hoping for some advice from experienced Polish moms as to how to help her calm down and be accepting of human affection and any tips to help her acclimate. Thanks

Hey! Could you get another polish so that she's not alone? Usually if there's only one the difference is magnified.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Funny, I had just emailed the breeder my friend got her from asking about getting another Polish. Your comment sealed the deal! She is staying on the roosts because every time she gets down they go after her. She has her food and water on top of the coop next to a roost which she can access. She is allowing me to had feed her treats if I am slow with my hand. I am trying to spend a lot of time with her. I just love her already!

I am getting a 10 month old Polish Chicken. She was picked on pretty badly as a chick when my friend got her. She has tried to integrate her into her flock but she still gets picked on and is bald in the back of her head I am taking her tomorrow as a companion to my Favorelle who lost her 9mth old sister a few days ago. My 2 Barred Rocks picked on the Favorelles at first by chasing them away and gave them a peck but it was never bad. After a few weeks the got along fine though the Barred Rocks are bonded and the Favorelles were bonded and kind of did things like roosting separately. I know the Polish can be a skittish breed anyway and because of her history, I imagine she might be even more so Was hoping for some advice from experienced Polish moms as to how to help her calm down and be accepting of human affection and any tips to help her acclimate. Thanks
I had a similar experience. I was gifted a bullied Polish by my breeder. Her back was plucked, she had no tail feathers and she was malnourished.

The breeder gave her to me because I seem the have a gift for special needs chickens. And nothing she tried worked.

I named her Dolly Parton.

Dolly was skittish, depressed and starving.

I fed her. Made her a jacket to cover her back and lavished her with attention. She was given a small animal cage with tasty foods and water no one else was allowed in.

I let her begin socializing at her own pace.

It's a year later. She's gorgeous, feisty and has a best friend and a favorite rooster who courts her daily.

Her best friend is my undersized Americauna EE hybrid. She has beaten the feathers off birds who try to harass Dolly.

I had a similar experience. I was gifted a bullied Polish by my breeder. Her back was plucked, she had no tail feathers and she was malnourished.

The breeder gave her to me because I seem the have a gift for special needs chickens. And nothing she tried worked.

I named her Dolly Parton.

Dolly was skittish, depressed and starving.

I fed her. Made her a jacket to cover her back and lavished her with attention. She was given a small animal cage with tasty foods and water no one else was allowed in.

I let her begin socializing at her own pace.

It's a year later. She's gorgeous, feisty and has a best friend and a favorite rooster who courts her daily.

Her best friend is my undersized Americauna EE hybrid. She has beaten the feathers off birds who try to harass Dolly.
What a heartwarming story!

What a sweet story! So glad you rescued her and it worked out great that she now has a best buddy. I hope that can happen to mine. You were really patient and it paid off. She is on top of the coop right now eating and drinking. Her food and water are there. She spends the rest of the time on her perches as they go after her as soon as she hits the ground. It doesn't help that she runs around in a panic. My Favorelle who was picked on by the Barred Rocks is the worst offender. I also take in special needs animals. One of my Barred Rocks got her femur fractured when a horse stepped on it. She brought her to her neighbor who is a vet and my best friend to be put down. Vet decided to try surgery and put a pin in her leg. I have her now and she walks with a limp but is otherwise fine. Thanks so much for the encourgement.

Back
Top Bottom