Adult Chicken missing a middle toe

Marilynn

Chirping
Sep 13, 2016
My Adult Black Star is missing a middle toe. She came to me from my daughter like this. My Reds picked on her and I moved her till she was a little bigger and the sore healed. Well I noticed the other night she does not roost? Is this going to be a big problem? She shares a 10 X 10 pen with a high board under part of the roost with two other Young Adult Chickens. This board has a large egg box and she sleeps just outside the box. Will she ever roost?
Marilynn

Opps. The sore is not her toe, that was healed when I got her. The Reds pecked a spot at the base of her tail. It is healed, but the new feathers have not come in yet.
Sorry
Marilynn

No problem. Glad she is recovering!
smile.png

Poor girl. I think she would get better & stay that way, if she was kept away from your Reds , I'm guessing RIR's. I've heard they can be aggressive. I don't think they will stop bothering her - it would be best if you could have her with some docile breed(s)

Will she ever roost. Right now she has a Red and a Bard Rock for friends. This is the pen I put my new birds and sick one.
Marilynn

I don't think she would be able to roost. The middle toe provides a lot of support to the foot. It isn't bad that she can't roost, I have hens that are almost four years old and never roost.

Last edited:
Where do they sleep at. I put a dog house in the pen and filled it full of pine shavings and they all go in there and play around, but never sleep there. I need to take my rabbit cage out of that pen and then that board will be gone.
Marilynn

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Birds with toe issues such as missing or deformed toes may never roost. This doesn't hurt them, although they can end up pretty yucky if they sleep under the roosts!

Back
Top Bottom