Adult Chicken Wry Neck

lin04

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
New Hampshire
One of my year old Golden Wyandotte got rye neck 10 days ago. I started frantically reading about it hoping to save her. Others I know with chickens have never heard of this. I started her with vitamin E and selenium with a dropper. She got so bad she just laid down with her head under her not being able to lift it to eat. I then read about tube feeding and then watched a YouTube on it. She was going downhill fast so I got the supplies and decided to try it. I used baby parrot food from a pet store, vitamin E, selenium and Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins, mixed them all up with water in a big syringe that a lady at Pharmacy Care was nice enough to sell me and bought some small tubing. I started feeding her with a tube a couple times a day filling her crop. I know it sounds horrible but she did not mind at all and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I started this a week ago and have watched her slowly get better. As of this morning she could hold her head up but it was still tilted to the side. She can lift it but it's wobbly. From Thursday until Monday she could not lift her head at all and when she would stand she would tumble over. Hopefully in another week she will be able to eat and drink on her own and hold her head up. I learned that it takes time but it is slowly working so don't give up. I am feeling quite happy about what I have done for her. From what I am learning many chicken people put them away and don't try save them. That is not me....I had to try.................... I love my chickens.

Thank you so much for saying that. I have 8 chickens that all have names and I love each one of them, but because of this I have really bonded with her
smile.png
So many people can't understand why I am doing it and I don't get that. I am so happy for this website of people that understand..... thanks again.

Thank you so much for saying that.  I have 8 chickens that all have names and I love each one of them, but because of this I have really bonded with her   :)    So many people can't understand why I am doing it and I don't get that.  I am so happy for this website of people that understand..... thanks again.

Don't be discouraged if she seems to have a relapse as she is healing. From what I have read and experienced it's common. My little guy "Happy" was worse at night even as he was improving. He hatched with wry neck unable to stand at all. He's now 1 :) I do keep him on a once per week dose of vitamins and polyvisol to prevent relapse as he seemed to get bad once a month until I did that. Best wishes for a full recovery :)

Don't be discouraged if she seems to have a relapse as she is healing. From what I have read and experienced it's common. My little guy "Happy" was worse at night even as he was improving. He hatched with wry neck unable to stand at all. He's now 1
smile.png
I do keep him on a once per week dose of vitamins and polyvisol to prevent relapse as he seemed to get bad once a month until I did that. Best wishes for a full recovery
smile.png
Thank you for the info and encouragement! I know I will baby her for a long time........

You are doing exactly what I would do! I had one of mine in the bathtub about two weeks ago. I did take her to the vet and he actually kept her for 2 days but he only charged me $80!!!! She is back to herself but a lot of people wanted to know why all that for a CHICKEN. It's simply because I love them.

Back
Top Bottom