Adult guienas

maeflower1992

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
Ohio
So I was given 3 adult Guineas.
I have determined there are two females and one male.

My question is should there be more of them than just the three? My neighbor had them and didn't like the fact they roosted on his barn so he gave them to me. I caught them and relocated them to a temporary coop/but now they roost with my chickens at night. I have also noticed the one hen is always off by herself. Is this normal?

Neighbor said they are like 7m old.

So I was given 3 adult Guineas.
I have determined there are two females and one male.

My question is should there be more of them than just the three? My neighbor had them and didn't like the fact they roosted on his barn so he gave them to me. I caught them and relocated them to a temporary coop/but now they roost with my chickens at night. I have also noticed the one hen is always off by herself. Is this normal?

Neighbor said they are like 7m old.
Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups of guineas. I never recommend having fewer than 10.

As adults and being from nearby, you need to keep them penned for at least 6 weeks to make sure they know where "home" is.

Since they are already accustomed to roosting on a structure, you will need to retrain them so they go in a coop at night.

I don't recommend housing them with anything but guineas.

Is is not uncommon for a trio to ostracize one. They need more guineas so they can experience true flock dynamics.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups of guineas. I never recommend having fewer than 10.

As adults and being from nearby, you need to keep them penned for at least 6 weeks to make sure they know where "home" is.

Since they are already accustomed to roosting on a structure, you will need to retrain them so they go in a coop at night.

I don't recommend housing them with anything but guineas.

Is is not uncommon for a trio to ostracize one. They need more guineas so they can experience true flock dynamics.
So I have had them for about 3 months. They were in a separate pen from the chickens but near enough they could see the chicken coop. I just started letting them out to free range and at night they roost with the chickens and not in the separate coop...

I didn't really plan on keeping them with the chickens. We are actually building a bigger chicken coop and were planning on letting the guienas have the old chicken coop.

I wonder if they want to roost with the chickens because there are only three of them?

What is the male to female dynamics for them? I know chicken and duck raitos but I found different information regarding guineas.

Thank you.

@R2elk
Will Guineas lay eggs with chickens?

I always heard they will abandon a nest but our one guinea keeps going in the chicken coop durring the day and sitting in the chickens nest box.

If she is laying eggs with them how could I tell them apart? 🤔.

I seen her in the nest a few days ago and my Daughter seen her in it today.

@R2elk

I always heard they will abandon a nest but our one guinea keeps going in the chicken coop durring the day and sitting in the chickens nest box.

Some will.

Depends on what kind of eggs your chickens lay.

Most guineas lay small pointy speckled eggs. Other than the bantam breeds, most chicken eggs are bigger.

Last edited:
@R2elk

Mine occasionally lay in the nest box with the chickens. Fairly easy to tell the eggs apart, as the guinea eggs are more pointed.

Attachments

• 20230513_211138.jpg
    20230513_211138.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom