Adult hen has never laid eggs, what??

Houdini56

Chirping
Mar 5, 2019
Sequim, Washington
When our little flock got down to one chicken last fall, we picked up two RIR/leghorn crosses who were anywhere from 9 to 18 months old. The day we brought them home (Halloween), one of them laid a nice green egg....then while in quarantine one of them went into molt, and no more eggs for a while. Eventually, after they were integrated into the main coop and everyone settled down, we started getting a green egg occasionally along with the brown egg we get almost daily from our last remaining Golden Comet (sex link). As the days got longer this year we settled into getting 4-5 green eggs a week along with the brown....but we are fairly positive the green is just from one of the new girls, and the other (named Grace) has only ever just laid a very small egg late last winter, then nothing more.

All three appear healthy and happy, they eat/drink well, poop normally, etc. They get free range time every day and we spent at least 30 minutes or longer sitting with them and observing them. The only "issue" is that this group has a very fluid pecking order, and from one day to the next it is hard to tell who's on bottom, top or middle....though the majority of the time we never see any serious issues between them like bullying.

I did a search here first, and read about internal laying which doesn't seem applicable based on how healthy Grace seems to be....and I also read that sometimes a hen will have hormonal issues and just not end up laying....a "dud" so to speak.

I guess what I'm wondering about is if there is any hope that Grace might still start laying. At best she is 16 months old, but could possibly be more like 2 years. Honestly, I think she's on the younger side as both the new girls had noticeable comb growth still happening over this last winter.

She's a bit of a prima donna but otherwise we like her. However, my partner is wondering if she's a permanent slacker, so to speak, and if so, do we want to hold onto her or not.

I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts. Thank you!

Thank you all for chiming in. You learn something new every day if you pay attention! It's a disappointment, especially with only 3 hens....now my 5-yo Comet has gone off laying, so we may be down to one layer. We really don't enjoy the integration process with new birds, the pecking order establishment completely unnerves me, so....we will see! :)

Yeah, I'm gonna say, a buff orpington x RIR will NEVER lay a green egg. So you have something else in that bird's ancestry to lay that color egg. There's a blue egg layer in that ancestry somewhere. You could call her a barnyard mix, or non-standard easter egger, since she's laying green. (Easter eggers typically have beards and muffs, but a lot of new designer EEs have been coming out from the hatcheries lately that don't have those, and look like other breeds of bird).

As long as she's laying, it's all good.

For the hen you think is not laying - might consider crating her inside the run/coop. I use XXL wire dog crates inside my covered combo coop/run, and there's space for food, water, walking about a bit, a roost, and a place they can nest. Crate her for a week and see if she lays an egg during that time. If she stays pretty much where the other birds can see her most of the time, she won't lose her place in the pecking order, and you'll have solved a mystery. I think it's possible that you have two green egg layers, and they are taking turns, and their eggs look identical.

Back
Top Bottom