Advantage to adding a fan to LG 9200??

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I have the basic of basic incubators, LG still air from Tractor Supply for around $45, just completed first hatch attempt, got 2 of 8 hatched(should have been 3, I blame myself for this one, it made it to day 20/21 or so, I think the opening of the incubator on day 20 AND 21 caused this). They were shipped eggs, and I opened everyone that didnt hatch. 5 didnt develop at all(I would say this is either infertile eggs or got scrambled during shipping) So it should have been 3 of 8 on shipped eggs which to me sounds about the norm. I stuck more eggs in the incubator right after the first hatch, and I cleaned incubator out real good. 9 of my own fresh mutt EE eggs(Ameracauna rooster, my avatar, and my 2 red star hens), and 5 other eggs I picked up local from a local farm who breed's and MAY have some of the best blood lines and breeding stock that I will ever encounter, so these were 1 or 2 day old eggs, handled minimally. 2 Blue laced red wyandottes, 2 Auburn Java's(extremely rare), and 1 surprise egg she put in for me :) :) I am just wondering what advantage the moving air is compared to the still air. And if I run the temp higher with still air? I try to stay as close to 100.0 as I can, typically I check temp 10 times a day when I am home, and its typically 99.5-99.9 I was wondering if a little hotter would be better? I was wanting to shoot for 100.5 or so. So if someone can, let me know why I should want a fan please, since I feel I will have great success with the still air, this hatch will let me know.

And. . . would it work for me by having the eggs inside a closed egg carton, egg carton sitting on its side in incubator and then when I need to turn eggs, I just flip carton over to sit on its other side. And then at day 18, take them out of carton and set them on bottom of incubator?? Will this work? turning 14 by hand seems like a task since I need to be quick so I dont lose so much heat.

Last edited:
Yes an egg carton could possibly work. The fan really does help a lot in keeping your humidity and temperatures better. Are you checking your humidity? What have your levels been?

I did a little more looking into using the egg carton and realized that the eggs that would be raised higher than the others will be raised up into temps that were like 103 so I didnt even attempt it. I check the humidity every few days. was right at like 40% with no water added to the incubator, and like with my first hatch, I add around a tablespoon of water every other day or so to the bottom. I make sure the water is gone atleast 12 hours before adding more.And my temp with this hatch is at 100.0-100.5, I ran my first hatch at 99.5-100.0.

You can run it as high as 102 without a problem, leave the vent plugs out...try and keep the humidity between 30 and 40 percent for the first 18 days. When you go into lockdown...up it to 65-70 percent. Use the vent plugs if you can't get the humidity up during lockdown, also sponges or wet paper towels placed in the channels really do help. If you can afford a turner...get one..omg..makes life so much easier and will help with keeping temps/humidity constant, because you're not opening the bator all the time. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks alot. I have def tossed the idea of the egg carton. Just gonna do the hand turning this hatch, then think about making something for turning without opening the lid, should be easy.

Back
Top Bottom